The Belleville News-Democrat is seeking an enterprising, reader-focused reporter who will break news and provide deep coverage of local K-12 education issues that connect with parents, educators and other taxpayers in our region. Accountability reporting is a key part of this beat.
Our award-winning newsroom has a reputation for breaking news and producing exclusive accountability journalism that focuses on a region known as the metro-east, right across the Mississippi River from St. Louis. Our coverage reflects daily life in southwestern Illinois, spotlighting issues people care about, finding solutions and making a difference, all the reasons you got into journalism.
We’re looking for an education reporter with the ability to build a diverse network of sources and generate high-impact coverage with input from people in communities across our region and other stakeholders in our K-12 education system.
Journalism is a team sport in our newsroom. The ability to collaborate and communicate well with colleagues on a daily basis is essential.
The metro-east, our core coverage area, is a great place to live and work. You get the benefits of small-town living in Illinois with thriving Main Streets, restaurants, festivals and community picnics, while having easy access to all the amenities of St. Louis just minutes away. The city has a lively, diverse music scene, great restaurants, bars and craft breweries, topnotch professional sports, a wonderful zoo and museums,a top-ranked botanical garden and a world-class symphony orchestra, just to name a few. BND journalists also enjoy the rich outdoor life in our region, from Shawnee National Forest in Southern Illinois to the Mississippi flyway and so much more in between.
We expect the successful education- beat candidate to be able to meet most of these qualifications, job requirements and responsibilities:
- Strong reporting and writing skills, excellent news judgment and a demonstrated ability to “see the story” that is going to matter to readers.
- Commitment to accuracy, ethics and diversity.
- The ability to produce a healthy mix of daily and longer term enterprise.
- Ability to prioritize in a fast-paced, data-driven work environment.
- A commitment to regularly include readers in your reporting, from identifying story ideas to being part of a diverse network of sources.
- Knowledge and demonstrated use of digital tools to help tell stories.
- The ability to use social media as a tool for engagement, story idea prospecting and pushing stories out to readers.
- A hunger for learning new moves to deepen your reporting and enhance and expand your reach.
- A collaborative, positive work style.
- Willingness to work occasional weekends and nights, jump in on breaking news and perform other duties as needed in a small newsroom.
- College degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- Must have reliable transportation and valid driver’s license
What we’ll bring:
As a journalist at McClatchy, you will join a supportive, flexible, collaborative team. McClatchy strives to be an employer of choice, and our benefits package is made with this goal in mind. With a focus on health, well-being, wealth and daily life, our package options includes healthcare coverage for employees and their families, financial protection from expected and unexpected expenses, multiple no-cost wellness resources and even coverage for four-legged friends. Our overall benefit package also includes a 401(k) with employer match, competitive paid time off and corporate holidays, and a variety of mental health benefits. With an excellent support team and with focus on your well-being as a top corporate strategy, McClatchy provides benefits to support you and your family in achieving your health and wellness goals. For more information on McClatchy's benefit plan, please visit McClatchyLivewell.com.
To apply, include a persuasive cover letter, your resume and four to six examples of your best work in the application link below.
Our impact is growing every day. 30 growing markets. Over 65 million monthly readers. 56 Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger. As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of a flexible, empowering, and exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growth—a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.