State Government Reporter
The State Media Company is seeking a politics reporter to cover the Statehouse in South Carolina's capital city. Not only is our legislature known for being both colorful and contentious, we have some of the nation's top political personalities, including Nikki Haley, Lindsey Graham and Tim Scott.
We are looking for an experienced journalist who can handle a demanding mix of daily beat coverage and long-form enterprise, and who is deeply curious about political power and those who wield it. The ideal candidate would have experience covering politics and elections and a proven track record of using public records and data to find hidden stories. Candidates must also understand the importance of breaking news and leveraging social media.
As our State Government Reporter, you will be responsible for the following:
- Developing sources on your beat.
- Using public records and databases to uncover stories.
- Tracking the money, from government spending to campaign contributions and expenditures.
- Writing a healthy mix of daily and enterprise stories.
- Quickly post stories online and developing them further as needed.
- Using social media tools to develop, distribute and enhance stories.
- Helping to plan and execute the presentation of stories in a way that maximizes digital impact.
- 2 years of reporting experience preferred
- Strong writing and reporting skills
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics
- Understanding of SEO and other optimization opportunities and a demonstrated ability to learn new skills in social and digital
- Reliable transportation.
- Valid driver’s license
- Vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works)
Application Requirements: When applying, please include samples of your best work or a link to your portfolio.
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits package.