Higher Education / Education Reporter
South Florida is home to some of the largest and most influential colleges and universities in the state, from state institutions (FIU, Miami-Dade College, Broward College, FAU) to private (UM, Florida Memorial, Barry, St. Thomas, NSU). Taken together, they are major centers of employment and thought in the region.
The Miami Herald / el Nuevo Herald seek an aggressive journalist who will unearth exclusive, news-breaking reporting on everything from campus trends to groundbreaking research.
That means moving fast on breaking news while producing pieces that capture trends.
We also envision this reporter teaming up on education issues with our K-12 reporter, from time to time, and will keep a keen eye on issues in Broward County.
This is a full-time position that can include weekends, evenings and holidays. The reporter in this role will ferret out daily stories and longer-form enterprise all Herald platforms and will engage with audience through all of our social media channels.
The ideal candidate will proactively self-assign stories and handle assignments as needed. He/she should be an idea generator with strong social roots and deep knowledge of South Florida who can identify and include impacted people in stories. He/she should be able to work traditional sources as well as social media and analytics to identify the stories people are talking about or will be talking about.
The ideal candidate will be expected to:
- Select stories with an eye for audience engagement and traffic
- Monitor trending topics from social media to inform editorial decisions
- Manage photos, headlines, links, SEO and story packaging for publishing on MiamiHerald.com
- Aggregate content from third-party sources using related links, photo galleries, and videos
- Bring fresh ideas to daily content creation and social media promotion
- Engage with our audience on social media platforms
- Monitor competitive websites and social media in your coverage area and personal areas of interest
Desired skills and experience:
- At least two years of writing experience in a news organization
- Background in education reporting preferred, local reporting a plus
- Spanish language ability preferred
- A good feel for audience interest and trends
- Fresh writing style in an engaging, conversational voice
- Comfort with video, basic video editing, photography, Microsoft Word and Excel or other word-processing and spreadsheet programs
- Team player who works collaboratively
Physical activity requirements:
- Requires ability to move from one location to another, sitting, standing, bending, talking, hearing, use of near, mid-range and far vision, and making visual accommodations.
- Uses computer, which may require prolonged keyboarding and use of mouse.
- Lifting of report/computer printouts may be necessary – up to 20 lbs.
- Ground or air travel may be necessary.
The Miami Herald / el Nuevo Herald are Equal Opportunity Employers