Audience Development Sales Manager
The McClatchy Audience Division is looking for an innovative and energetic regional manager to help lead our field sales subscription programs and help coordinate the subscription sales efforts across several markets. This position can be based in either Sacramento, CA or Fort Worth, TX.
This individual will be responsible for designing and executing a series of door crew sales, kiosk sales, retail partnership, special events / show sales campaigns directed at growing newspaper and digital subscriptions.
This position will report to the Fan Development Group Director - Field Sales . The Regional Field Sales Manager (Crews, Kiosk, Events) will facilitate the implementation of programs that will drive newspaper and digital subscription sales.
This individual will have goals and targets including but not limited to audience targets, revenue targets, and expense targets for each of the newspapers, with the sum of all equating to an operating cash flow target for the company. Additionally, this position is expected to contribute to delivering on these targets, anticipate shortfalls and identify areas for improvement or alternative plans to meet established goals as necessary.
- Responsible for assisting the design and implementation of comprehensive direct response sales plans that deliver the needed volume to support each newspaper’s core print & digital product.
- Responsible for seeking out the best resources for each of the direct response sales channels for each of the newspapers in the specific region.
- Ensures that all contracted work is done in accordance with the agreement the vendor has with us, with governing laws, policies and the McClatchy Company values and Code of Business Ethics.
- Work with customer service to track starts as they are submitted and return orders not meeting company standards
- Provides sales tips to independent sales contractors in areas such as selling techniques, overcoming objections, product knowledge, and customer relations
- May assist contractor in obtaining new outlet locations and maintain existing locations through various efforts including communication with store managers and event locations.
- Distributes sales support materials such as order forms, giveaway items, premiums, promotional posters, etc to sales contractors.
- Responsible for ensuring all McClatchy guideline are being followed for PCI compliance as it relates to credit cards.
- Works to develop the needed creative offerings to ensure the features and benefits of each product is communicated to its targeted potential buyers.
- Responsible for supporting, communicating and adhering to each of the newspaper’s mission, vision and core values in the region
- Responsible for knowing, communicating and delivering on the total subscriber account (TSA) volumes and subscription revenue targets for each of the newspapers in the specific region
- Stays in touch with the industry’s best practices and uses the practices to improve the productivity of programs used in each of the newspapers in the specific region.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university or minimum of 4 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Requires a prior work history that demonstrates strong and successful leadership ability and solid understanding of complexities of newspaper sales.
Ability to work in a fast-pace environment with multiple vendors.
PC skills including word processing, excel, and the ability to solve problems with actionable plans.
Provides forecasting of start pressure and expenses by source and market.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Valid driver’s license.