Higher Education Reporter
The News & Observer is looking for an energetic, experienced higher education reporter to cover a region with some of the highest-profile universities in the country. The Raleigh region is home to the University of North Carolina, N.C. State and Duke University. Known for its growing and diverse population, the area also is home to N.C. Central University and several other HBCUs.
This reporting position is a top priority in our newsroom, with many opportunities to write high-impact stories, widely distributed daily stories and meaningful investigative and enterprise projects. We are looking for a reporter with at least five years of reporting experience — at least two of those years in education.
The ideal candidate’s attributes include:
- Has strong writing and self-editing skills
- Has a knack for tackling complex topics, administrative policies and long-standing controversies in a way that engages readers and explains why these issues are important to them.
- Works fast and accurately
- Develops trusted sources
- Understands the legislative process
- Can produce meaningful and important investigative projects
- Understands how and when to file public records requests, but also is skilled at obtaining elusive information independently
- Has collaborative personality that may include mentoring of young reporters and interns
- Has the ability to create a strong social media base and communicate effectively with followers
- Produce breaking news, enterprise and investigative content for all platforms
- Shoot photos and video.
- Use all appropriate social media platforms to distribute and highlight work
- Use SEO smartly and strategically; understanding other audience growth processes
- Skillfully use content management systems
- Use data, spreadsheets and data tools to inform reporting
We are moving quickly to fill this important position. Deadline for applications (resume and cover letter required) is March 22, 2019.