Do you have a relentless curiosity about how to engage audiences while diving deeply into key issues that matter? Do you have a collaborative style with the ability to work across teams throughout the company? Do you have a passion for live storytelling? If so, we want to hear from you.
McClatchy is redefining how we cover the 2020 election. And we want you to help.
As Coordinating Producer, you will be the daily point person on an editorial project focused on the policy issues most important to the readers McClatchy serves across the country. In this role, you’ll coordinate and manage content across all of our platforms, including live events, in multiple states. You’ll be expected to work closely with colleagues nationwide, from the Miami Herald and Sacramento Bee, to the Charlotte Observer, Fort Worth Star-Telegram and Washington D.C. Bureau, among others. You’ll play a large role in brand establishment, workflows and audience growth as well.
This is a roll-up-your-sleeves startup environment within an established news organization. If you’re a motivated individual with a passion to empower creatives to bring their imagination and ideas to life, you’ll fit right in.
- Partner with our executive team to build and manage McClatchy’s overall editorial project strategy
- Serve as primary day-to-day point person, reporting to the Editor responsible for the Priorities Project and Influencer Series nationwide on all editorial project needs, logistics and details to drive execution across multiple markets
- Build relationships and work collaboratively with McClatchy’s four Regional Editors, Audience Growth producers and 2020 coverage team
- Contribute to live events programming by creating distinctive content ideas and adding to booking efforts as directed
- Coordinate with marketing and audience teams to manage timing, placement and promotion of project related content across McClatchy platforms
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong editorial background with 5+ years experience in a news organization
- Experience as a producer with reliable news judgement who has shown strong leadership, project management and strategic skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- An understanding of audience metrics and social media trends, and the ability to respond to them
- Comfort working across a geographically diverse, matrixed organization; excellent interpersonal skills is essential
- Experience with live production and cross-platform editorial initiatives
- Solid understanding of the current political/economic/social themes driving election-year coverage
- Aptitude for thinking creatively and ambitiously and the desire to execute in a highly competitive environment
- Collaborative learner who enjoys working across all facets of a news operation
This position may be based in either Washington DC or Miami FL. Travel may be required as part of this job.
McClatchy is a leading Digital Media Company and Publisher offering news, information and marketing solutions in many of the nation's best markets. Every day, our talented employees create and deliver award-winning journalism and advertising solutions to growing audiences and businesses. Our digital and print publication lineup includes iconic brands such as the Miami Herald, The Kansas City Star, The Sacramento Bee, The Charlotte Observer, The (Raleigh) News and Observer, and the (Fort Worth) Star-Telegram, to name a few.
McClatchy is headquartered in Sacramento, California and is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol MNI.