Regional Investigations Editor
Location: Charlotte or Raleigh, NC
The News & Observer and Charlotte Observer are looking for a tenacious editor who is passionate about watchdog journalism to lead a team of the best investigative reporters in North Carolina.
Our regional investigations editor will also be a strong voice in supporting accountability reporting in our McClatchy newsrooms in South Carolina, Georgia and Mississippi. This editor will be our champion for journalism that holds power to account
This is a role for a strong coach, collaborator and communicator who can inspire reporters, editors and visual journalists to identify an important, compelling story and go get it. S/he will be deeply committed to fairness and accuracy, in fact and in tone, and will have a strong grounding in journalism ethics. This editor must be excited about helping reporters find and engage a strong audience with our highest-impact public service journalism.
The ideal editor for this role will have strong writing, editing, social media and reader engagement skills. S/he will shape our investigative journalism in every aspect — from story idea to strategies to get our journalism in front of readers — to maximize our reach and the impact of our work.
Our McClatchy news teams are deeply committed to First Amendment values in our journalism and to holding leaders and institutions accountable. The investigations editor must be deeply passionate about watchdog journalism and ensuring that government institutions conduct the public’s business in the open.
The regional investigations editor will manage a team of reporters based in Charlotte and Raleigh, NC, and will work with editors and reporters across McClatchy’s Southeast region to advise, inspire and guide our high-impact reporting.
The regional investigations editor reports to the Southeast regional editor.
This editor’s skills should include:
- Deep experience reporting on and/or leading investigative and accountability journalism.
- The ability to lead, direct, collaborate with and coach colleagues in different locations.
- Unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism.
- Strong editing and/or writing skills and excellent news judgment.
- An interest in telling stories using a range of media, and an enthusiasm for learning new skills and technologies.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy and the ability to take and give constructive criticism.
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced, constantly evolving.
- Track record of editing and/or reporting stories that land with impact.
- Excellent news judgment, and a demonstrated ability to see the story that’s going to matter to readers and to anticipate reader interests.
- Ability to articulate and reinforce standards for ethics and professional conduct as well as journalistic excellence.
- The proven ability to lead, inspire and convey knowledge to others, and to work effectively with a wide range of colleagues.
- Ability to lead, motivate and supervise a team. Requires superior people and mentoring skills and knowledge of good management practices.
- An interest in and aptitude for storytelling using a broad range of media, including the written word, video, photography, podcasts and other audio, and whatever comes next.
- The ability to solve problems, innovate and adapt.
- Ability to synthesize documents and data to uncover news stories.
- Ability to uncover and petition for the release of documents and help reporters navigate open records laws.
- Impeccable knowledge of grammar, spelling and AP Style.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
Minimum five years full-time editing experience preferred, especially focused on investigative and accountability journalism.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent news experience.
McClatchy, a national leader in digital media, is growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways. We are experiencing the most transformative period in our history.
Learn a little bit about us: McClatchy