News Intern - Belleville
The Belleville News-Democrat, a southwestern Illinois news organization near St. Louis, is looking for a reporting intern for the summer or fall. Candidates should be college juniors, seniors or recent graduates.
The intern will work 40 hours per week (including occasional nights and weekends) covering mostly breaking news, utility stories and occasional audience-centered trend stories. We're looking for reporters with experience working in their college newsrooms or at prior internships, the ability to spot and write a good story and a voracious appetite for learning. Video and social media skills are a plus.
Each intern will have a mentor, collaborate with seasoned staffers and work directly with a local-news editor.
The internship is paid for 10 weeks.
To apply, please include a cover letter, examples of your work and resume. You may also include links to personal websites or your portfolio, if available. Please apply using Jobvite.com.
- The ability to write quickly, accurately and well;
- Solid news judgment;
- Driven, with an instinctive grasp of what will engage your audience;
- A deep grasp of what drives interest on Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms;
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, good curiosity and high energy;
- A collaborative style that works comfortably across teams spread throughout the office and company.
- A familiarity with entry-level video editing platforms is help
- This position requires driving for business. Must have a valid drivers license and vehicle.