The Fresno Bee is hiring a reporting intern for fall semester 2023.
We are seeking smart, curious self-starters who are interested in a professional career in journalism. Internships are generally for 10 weeks, and the start date can vary according to applicants’ schedules.
While these are student positions with an opportunity to learn and continue preparation for a news career, we expect an understanding of basic news standards and ethics, and a skill set in being able to produce content. Previous experience reporting for a student or professional news publication is a plus.
We are looking for student journalists who can meet deadlines, be accurate and adhere to ethical standards. Reporters need to report thoroughly, write clearly and grasp the elements of storytelling, recognizing visual components and social connections. They must have a sense of urgency, coupled with an understanding of the wide range of audience interests.
This is a staff position in the newsroom, where we expect interns to produce while learning. Interns are paid $15.50/hour, up to 37.5 hours per week.
The program/supervision/support: Our interns are vital, and we value them. The program works this way:
* Internships are 10 weeks, 40 hours per week, and are paid. Schedule could include weekend hours.
* Interns learn how to cover local news, features and business – and more.
* Each intern has an editor who oversees them, guides them and helps solve problems.
* Interns can work in multimedia as well, creating content and crafting social promotion for digital platforms.
* The ability to write quickly, accurately and well.
* The ability to monitor and mine various sources for breaking news.
* Solid news judgment.
* An instinctive grasp of what will engage your audience.
* A deep understanding of what drives interest on Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms.
* A strong entrepreneurial spirit, good curiosity and high energy.
* A collaborative style that allows you to work comfortably across teams spread throughout the office and company.
* A familiarity shooting photos and video, including the use of entry-level video editing software, is preferred.
For full consideration, please submit a persuasive cover letter, resume and four to six samples of your strongest work to the link below.
Our impact is growing every day. 30 growing markets. Over 65 million monthly readers. 57 Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger.
As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of a flexible, empowering, and exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growth—a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.