Visual Journalist - Designer - Remote - US
McClatchy, the parent company of 30 news outlets around the country, including the Raleigh News & Observer, Miami Herald, Sacramento Bee and Kansas City Star, is seeking a Visual Journalist - Designer to help elevate the storytelling experience of our local enterprise and investigative stories leveraging innovative design and interactive web technologies.
McClatchy, a national leader in digital media, is growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways. We are experiencing the most transformative period in our history.
Come Join McClatchy – a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future!
Learn a little bit about us: McClatchy
The journalist will be part of a new enterprise graphics team and is expected to provide support in every part of producing and publishing innovative journalism: design, illustration, storyboarding, research, reporting and writing. The journalist will play a large part of the story-creation process and must have a knack for creative solutions and working fast.
- A passion for visual storytelling and a willingness to take risks.
- An excellent sense of visual design with a portfolio that will knock our socks off
- Accomplished artist with exceptional fine art and illustration skills
- Extensive experience creating infographics and visualizing data
- Highly proficient with Adobe Creative Suites (primarily Illustrator and Photoshop)
- Ability to develop storyboards to visualize ideas quickly and effectively
- Familiarity with cartographic applications using geographic information systems (GIS)
- Intermediate experience with photography
- Working knowledge of Adobe After Effects and experience with motion graphics
- Basic knowledge of HTML and CSS
- 3D modeling and 3D animation experience are a plus
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Please submit your resume, a portfolio of your work, and a cover letter stating your interest in the position.