We’re looking for a visual journalist to join us in building a major component of The Sacramento Bee’s future. This is an editorial position focused on shooting, editing and producing original video content across multiple platforms.
This individual will be required to pitch, report and produce daily and long-term video stories. As part of each assignment, this person will also be required to shoot photographs. Video journalists play a critical role, working closely with newsroom colleagues to tell the most important and timely video stories. A strong work ethic, the ability to multi-task and the aptitude to work across short- and long-term deadlines is required.
- Generate ideas for daily video stories that appeal across local and national online audiences
- Report, edit and produce compelling video journalism on deadline
- Shoot live video on scene when warranted
- Collaborate with editors/reporters to develop creative approaches to digital storytelling
- Write headlines, captions, summaries, social media posts and stories that are engaging and accurate
- Shoot photographs to accompany video storytelling in digital presentations and for print
- Drone piloting (we are willing to train and license)
Requirements, skills needed:
Excellent interpersonal, problem solving, and team player skills required. Leadership, strategic thinking experience and the ability to work with colleagues essential. Visual sensibility and experience contributing to interactive and multimedia work, with creative concepts and implementation. Reliable news judgment, advanced communication skills needed. An understanding of audience trends and digital media important. Ability to quickly edit video. Extensive background in journalism, video and online media preferred.
Energy, flexibility, and online smarts. Need the ability to work well with a variety of editors and staff at all levels within a digitally evolving local newsroom. Aptitude for thinking big, working wisely and quickly iterating.
Education: College degree required.
Experience: At least 2 years digital journalism experience preferred. Familiarity with DSLR and professional video cameras, capturing sound and video editing. Valid driver’s license.
This position will be based in Sacramento offices and will report to the Visuals Editor. The position may involve working nights and/or weekends. Some travel may be required.
Please submit cover letter, resume and a link to a journalism portfolio via the buttons below.