The Merced Sun-Star is looking for a senior reporter to spearhead news coverage in Merced County and to supervise a team of reporters.
This position is remote work from home in Merced.
The ideal candidate is someone who exhibits a passion for public accountability journalism and has the news judgment to discern the issues, motivations and trends that shape communities in Merced County and the central San Joaquin Valley.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is between $24.04 and $28.85 per hour. Individual base pay may vary within that range depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, relevant education, department equity, training, geography and local wage and hours laws.
- A minimum 3-5 years reporting experience in daily or digital media is required.
- The candidate would be responsible for leading a team of reporters while also writing and editing content, plus coordinating content with editors.
- The senior reporter is someone unafraid to ask local officials tough questions while also being able to quickly write compelling headlines and SEO that engage readers and increase audience.
- The candidate must be comfortable digging through financial documents and reading the fine print to find stories others would overlook.
- The senior reporter would have regular meetings with local leaders and community stakeholders, with an ear to the ground for what community watch dogs and gate keepers are talking about.
- Being able to meet tight deadlines for breaking news and having a flair for social media/digital reporting is also a requirement.
- Good people skills and an ability to operate in a team atmosphere is a must.
- This is a job for someone who is detail-oriented, who has strong leadership skills and is adept at producing both hard news and feature stories.
- Must have reliable transportation. Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works)
What we’ll bring:
As a journalist at McClatchy, you will join a supportive, flexible, collaborative team. McClatchy strives to be an employer of choice, and our benefits package is made with this goal in mind. With a focus on well-being and daily life, our package options include healthcare coverage for employees and their families, financial protection from expected and unexpected expenses, multiple no-cost wellness resources and even coverage for four-legged friends.
Our overall benefits package also includes a 401(k) with employer match, competitive paid time off and corporate holidays, and a variety of mental health benefits. For more information on McClatchy's benefit plan, please visit McClatchyLivewell.com.
To apply, include a persuasive cover letter, your resume and four to six examples of your best work.
Our impact is growing every day. We have 30 growing news markets. Over 65 million monthly readers. 56 Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger.
As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of an exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growth — a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.