Community Life Reporter
The Ledger-Enquirer is seeking a reporter to cover the Columbus, Georgia area.
The reporter will focus on government and accountability reporting but must be comfortable handling a wide range of issues. The reporter must be intrepid and tenacious with a proven track record of investigative, enterprise and narrative reporting that demonstrates the ability to find and unravel complex stories and tell them in compelling ways. While at least half of the reporter’s time should be spent on investigative and enterprise work, the successful candidate must be able to juggle producing quick-turn stories, providing context to breaking news and developing long-term projects. The ability to write and report for digital and print platforms in ways that resonate with audiences is a must. The reporter should be adept using digital reporting tools, knowledgeable about accessing public records, and able to analyze data to strengthen reporting.
The job requires the ability to understand our audience and frame stories in a way that highlights what is most important and essential to them. Don't just tell them that in a tight real estate market, Columbus' home prices are expected to rise faster than the national average – explain the significance of the trend, what's driving it and what it means for homeowners and buyers. This reporter needs to be adept at using tools such as analytics and social media to help understand the topics that appeal to our readers.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Regularly write news and enterprise stories that are clear, accurate, engaging and of high interest and relevance to local readers.
- Develop sources that go beyond government and company officials and include regular people who will be impacted by these decisions.
- Be able to juggle daily, short-term and long-term enterprise stories.
- Work with editors to assure that stories are complete, fair and in context.
- Handle deadline demands on breaking news when appropriate.
- Use audience metrics to determine which stories are resonating with readers and which are not. Work with editors to mine this data for takeaways about how we can build our audience.
- Produce basic video and photos in the field. Work with the visuals team to add more sophisticated visuals as a fundamental storytelling tool.
- Write and report on a continuous-news cycle, publishing to digital platforms as well as print.
- Use judgment in determining best digital tools for conveying
newsto readers in varying circumstances and formats
- Use social networks to seek story ideas, report in real time and connect with the community.
- Participate in training sessions offered and seek out learning opportunities.
- Education and knowledge: College degree required. Prior experience in a daily newsroom required.
- Excellent news judgment, a demonstrated ability to see a story and a deep appreciation for our watchdog role.
- Highly developed reporting, writing
andsocial media skills with a strong sense of writing voice
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced and constantly evolving.
- The ability to get to know different segments of the community and understand their needs
- The ability to quickly develop reliable sources
- Commitment to accurate, ethical journalism.
- Fundamental understanding of research tools.
- The ability to evaluate, interpret and analyze issues and trends.
- The ability to report, analyze and write with speed.
- The ability to write in different styles, voices