The McClatchy real-time news team is looking for an ambitious, high-energy news reporter to deliver quick-turn stories on interesting news and cultural phenomena from across the state and region. The position is based in Kansas City, Mo.
The real-time news reporter will be responsible for quickly writing stories about breaking news, local politics, business, entertainment, sports and lifestyle news that is driving the conversation online – or will be driving it a few minutes from now. It could be the latest big development in the mayoral race, a breaking scandal in the local business world, or just Beyoncé’s show last night in your town – all in the same day.
This reporter will work as part of the McClatchy team, with editors and reporters across the company.
The most compelling candidates will have:
- The ability to write quickly, accurately and well;
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics;
- An intuitive sense of what’s important and interesting;
- A good grasp of what drives interest on Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms;
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and extremely high energy;
- A collaborative style that works comfortably across teams spread throughout the office and company.
- The ability to verify the authenticity of information, sources, photos and video found through social media
Education: College degree required.Personal Attributes: Energy, flexibility, and online smarts. The ability to monitor a vast amount of information for a wide audience, matched with discerning judgment about what to pursue. The ability to execute both quickly and well, with creativity.