Breaking News Reporter
The (Macon) Telegraph is looking for an energetic, versatile journalist who thrives on fast-paced breaking news and can quickly and accurately report live stories using video, social and other digital tools.
As a breaking reporter, you will cover daily stories that are relevant to our readers, including in the areas of safety, transportation, local business and weather events. You’ll also tackle trending stories, and developing strong follow-ups that enlighten and engage readers, hold officials accountable and identify patterns and trends. The best enterprise stories often come from the breaking beat and the successful breaking reporter knows this. We’re looking for a self-paced reporter who can spot and report stories without waiting for the assignment and who can cultivate reliable sources.
You should understand importance of headlines, SEO and lead images and know how to grow readership by studying the performance of your stories in the digital space, using analytics tools such as Chartbeat or Parse.ly, and making adjustments accordingly.
Macon is the cultural and logistical hub of Middle Georgia, a growing region of the state. You will cover events in the rapidly revitalizing downtown Macon, the growing communities in Houston County and outlying areas throughout Bibb County and its eight contiguous counties.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Regularly write breaking news, trending and enterprise stories that are clear, accurate, engaging and of high interest and relevance to local readers.
- Work with editors to assure that stories are complete, fair and in context.
- Handle deadline demands on breaking news.
- Develop a broad range of sources on the beat and build strong relationships with key people to identify impactful stories that are important to our readers.
- Work with the growth team to understand and use audience metrics to determine which stories resonate with readers so we can make the best use of our reporting efforts. Work with editors to mine this data for takeaways about how we can build our audience.
- Produce basic video and photos. Work with visuals staff to add more sophisticated visuals as a fundamental storytelling tool.
- Write and report on a continuous news cycle, publishing first to digital platforms.
- Work with editors to determine the best digital tools for conveying the news to readers in varying circumstances and formats
- Use social networks to seek story ideas, report in real time and connect with the community.
- Participate in training sessions offered and seek out learning opportunities.
Job Link: https://app.jobvite.com/j?aj=ogJhbfwb&s=McClatchy_Careers_Page