Product Manager - Distribution and Video Strategy
Are you passionate about video strategy and innovative ways to tell stories?
McClatchy, a national leader in digital media, is growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways. We are experiencing the most transformative period in our history.
Come Join McClatchy – a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future!
McClatchy is looking for an ambitious Product Manager to guide strategies for reaching new audiences through distribution as well as identifying opportunities for video journalism and products. This position will shape McClatchy’s product roadmap for all 30 local newsrooms, collaborating with journalists, revenue leaders and audience development strategists to lead the direction for distributing our journalism and finding innovative ways to tell stories. We are seeking candidates who understand the important role of platforms in growing and engaging audiences for a digital business and can effectively prioritize efforts and evaluate results.
The Product Manager - Distribution and Video Strategy reports to the Lead Product Manager for News and collaborates with other product managers focused on editorial, audience and revenue strategies. A background working with platforms in digital media or a technology field is desired but not required.
Note: This position is located in our innovation-focused, product-driven, technology hub in downtown Raleigh, N.C.
- Make recommendations and guide strategy for positioning McClatchy journalism on third-party platforms, such as Facebook Instant Articles, Apple News, Flipboard and other digital destinations
- Serve as a subject matter expert on digital platforms and distribution strategies
- Serve as a point of contact with platform representatives and maintain frequent communication
- Use research, data analysis, user experience research, competitive research and other relevant tools to ensure informed decision making
- Prioritize opportunities to align with company goals
- Conduct revenue and data analysis for platform strategies to guide decisions, assess ROI and track success
- Work closely with video leaders and journalists to understand both audience needs and digital storytelling needs, and shape ideas into coherent product plans that meet both objectives
- Spot trends and innovative opportunities for video storytelling, machine learning, live streaming and other areas, and investigate possibilities for McClatchy
- Assist with all aspects of the product life cycle, including strategy, product requirements definition, design, competitive research, forecasting, launch plans, testing, and future enhancements
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and stakeholders to develop and drive an overall strategic plan and roadmap within the editorial group for distributing McClatchy’s journalism across multiple platforms
- Bachelor's degree or comparable experience
- 3+ years experience in product management or video strategy
- Familiarity and comfort in working with data, including the ability to use data to analyze and monitor product health, set goals and metrics, and aid in the prioritization of initiatives and features.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations, and drive action.
- An effective understanding of technology and how to use it to deliver outstanding and innovative products
- An ability to analyze quantitatively, problem-solve, think creatively and strategically, with a corresponding ability to execute strategies methodically
- Ability to perform analysis then defend findings to drive business decisions
- Track record of success in fast-paced organizations with matrixed reporting environments, using collaborative approaches to drive effective solutions when no direct reporting relationship exists
- Demonstrated collaboration skills, working across a broad organization
- Ability to weigh competing priorities, manage tradeoffs and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with stakeholders, driving to consensus while maintaining a clear focus on overarching business priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Some travel may be necessary - 0-20%