Mahoning Matters in Youngstown, Ohio, seeks a driven, collaborative, and innovative reporter who is eager to experiment with different ways to tell stories and connect with audiences on an ever-evolving digital news site.
A strong enterprising spirit and sense of urgency are required at Mahoning Matters. In a fast-paced environment, this journalist will juggle community reporting (both breaking news and accountability journalism), email newsletter contributions, some video/photography work, and audience growth and engagement tactics.
The job’s demands are great, but the returns are even greater. This is a progressive, inclusive team environment with a two-year track record of breaking big stories and asking tough questions. As our mission statement says, we aim to “fairly report on undercovered topics and hold powerful people and institutions to account.” Our vital community journalism doesn't stop at "who, what, when and where" — it focuses on the "how and why." We provide readers with utility journalism and news they can use in their lives. Our team might be small, but we are on a first-name basis with everyone on our beats, from local sources who admire our work to Ohio’s governor who regularly engages with us. We are seeking a new teammate as we continue to grow readership, loyalty and influence across the Mahoning Valley and the entire state.
• Some prior professional work experience as a reporter with strong writing and reporting skills as well as excellent news judgment and journalism ethics.
• Passion for the written word as well as other formats and ways to reach readers.
• The ability to jump right into a challenging and constantly evolving position.
• Understanding of SEO and other optimization opportunities and a demonstrated ability to learn new skills in social and digital media.
• Ability to develop a breadth and variety of reliable and engaged sources.
• Ability to understand audience metrics and the skills to bring them to our growing platform.
• Strong collaborative instincts and a love of teamwork.
•The ability to quickly master technology, including content management systems and storytelling tools.
• A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and a strong sense of urgency.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and 6-8 examples of your work that show the breadth and depth of your reporting and writing skills.
McClatchy full-time employee benefits include 401K and competitive medical, dental and life insurance offerings