Breaking News/Equity Issues Reporter
The Kansas City Star is seeking a passionate, enterprising, and thoughtful reporter who can dig deeper and uncover the impactful stories in the day's breaking news. This reporter would join a team at The Star dedicated to covering day-to-day breaking news within the community, but focused on a larger goal of telling stories that deal with issues of race, class, sex and gender identity, inequity, as well as other social constructs that make up Kansas City and the surrounding region.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field preferred
- A commitment to provide accurate information, both in fact and in
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics
- An understanding of how to verify the authenticity of information,
sources, photos and video found through social media
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and a strong sense of
- A collaborative style that works comfortably as part of a team
operating both virtually and in-person.
systems and storytelling tools