General Press Operator
Performs a variety of manual labor duties in the reel, plate and pressrooms. Must be able to read and comprehend manufacture specs and assist in press set up. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Maintains reel runs, ensuring reels are loaded properly and paper is not damaged during loads.
- Removes cores from the press.Inspects paper rolls for defects.
- Proficient webbing the press and with press leads.
- Responds quickly and accurately to web breaks.
- Assists with press setup.
- Reviews paper pages for print accuracy at press startup.
- Accurately hangs plates on the press.
- Ability to recognize and correct folder mechanical problems.
- Analyzes press run requirements.
- Continuously evaluates ink and water balances to achieve highest quality for run.
- Swiftly and proficiently registers ink color.
- Adjusts and remakes press plates in order to perfect registration.
- Identifies and corrects press run defects.
- Some exposure to folder operation.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Three to five (2) years of offset print experience.
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- Analytical reasoning skills.
- Ability to recognize and interpret color variances is a plus.
- Ability to read and comprehend print layout.
- Ability to read and interpret documents in English such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, all aspects of operating an offset newspaper press.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to multi-task and consistently meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and to contribute in a team environment.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing work priorities.
- Must demonstrate regular and reliable attendance. Additional hours, including overtime, may be required depending on workload.
- Follows all safety and security policies and procedures in accordance with company policies and local, state, and federal laws. Safety and security are every employee’s responsibility
- Constant standing
- Constant walking
- Frequent stair climbing
- Occasional lifting over 65 pounds
- Frequent pushing/pulling (estimated weight 1,000 lbs.)
- Constant bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling
- Constant reaching with hands and arms
This position is subject to a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate.