Breaking News Reporter
The News & Observer in the vibrant city of Raleigh, N.C., is looking for a smart, energetic journalist to discover and cover breaking news across the region.
- Find great stories that are fast-moving and highly readable.
- Use social media platforms to help distribute and highlight work
- Use SEO smartly and strategically; understanding other audience growth processes
- Understand and use audience metrics to help increase readership
- Write quickly and often.
- Shoot photos and video when needed.
- Skillfully use content management systems
- Use data and research to inform reporting
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics
- An intuitive sense of what’s important and interesting to audiences on all platforms
- A deep curiosity and high energy
- The ability to write quickly, accurately and engagingly on a wide variety of topics.
- A collaborative work ethic and the ability to communicate easily with people around the office and across the company
- Proficient knowledge of technology including content management systems and storytelling tools
- Ability to quickly and accurately research and verify the authenticity of information, sources, photos and video.
- College degree required.
- Reporters with a year or more of successful breaking news experience will be most comfortable in this role.
Applications should include a cover letter, references, and links to writing samples. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. The deadline for applications is Feb. 15, 2020.