Statehouse Real-Time Reporter
The State is looking for ambitious, creative, real-time news reporters to deliver quick-turn stories about compelling news and cultural events from the South Carolina political scene.
Our journalism focuses on our local communities, and in that role we have the ability to spotlight problems, highlight solutions and truly make a difference -- all the reasons you got into journalism. And we are part of McClatchy, a digitally driven company focused on innovation, with newsrooms in 30 communities in the United States,
We are located in Columbia, SC, a vibrant state capital with a major university and a high quality of life.
Our real-time reporters use social media, Google Trends and other tools to identify, report on and sometimes aggregate stories that are going to drive social and cultural conversations. Responding to big breaking news events is sometimes part of the job, but the primary role is to grow our audience by recognizing what’s trending or about to trend.
The most compelling candidates will have:
- The ability to write quickly, accurately and well
- A commitment to provide accurate information, both in fact and in context
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics
- An understanding of how to verify the authenticity of information, sources, photos and video found through social media
- An intuitive sense of what’s important and interesting, particularly in the world of politics
- A good grasp of what drives interest on Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms and an understanding of the tools used to surface story ideas
- A good understanding of how to write for search
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and a strong sense of urgency
- A collaborative style that works comfortably as part of a virtual team whose members are located throughout the country
- The ability to quickly master technology, including content management systems and storytelling tools
- Must have reliable transportation. Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).
- College degree preferred but commensurate professional experience will be considered.
- Creativity, flexibility, and online smarts.
- The ability to monitor a vast amount of information for a wide audience, matched with discerning judgment about what to pursue.
- The ability to execute both quickly and well.
What we’ll bring: As a journalist at McClatchy, you will join a supportive, flexible, collaborative team. McClatchy strives to be an employer of choice, and our benefits package is made with this goal in mind. With a focus on well-being and daily life, our package options includes healthcare coverage for employees and their families, financial protection from expected and unexpected expenses, multiple no-cost wellness resources and even coverage for four-legged friends. Our overall benefit package also includes a 401(k) with employer match, competitive paid time off and corporate holidays, and a variety of mental health benefits. For more information on McClatchy's benefit plan, please visit McClatchyLivewell.com.
About McClatchy: Our impact is growing every day. We have 30 growing news markets. Over 65 million monthly readers. 56 Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger. As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of an exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growth—a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.