The Kansas City Star is seeking a creative and collaborative news leader to serve as its managing editor.
This is a key leadership role in one of America’s great metro newsrooms, and we’re looking for someone who not only loves a good story but who is passionate about reaching readers on every platform, from our dynamic websites to our digital eEditions to our reimagined print product.
As The Star’s managing editor, you would coordinate and oversee the day-to-day news-gathering work of a talented and accomplished team of journalists as they experiment with new ways to reach an increasingly diverse audience of readers, viewers and listeners. This editor will play an integral role in accelerating our digital transition, as we build a sustainable operation that produces world-class accountability and investigative journalism, solutions- and utility-focused news and information, and breaking news coverage that is first and best on issues most important to our local readers.
You should bring a proven commitment to raising standards for diversity and inclusion both in news coverage and talent recruitment.
Kansas City is a large, vibrant city with a high quality of life – replete with iconic professional sports teams and a world-class arts scene – and a low cost of living. It’s a fantastic place to put down roots, and this job offers the chance to contribute meaningfully to its future.
The successful candidate will be an accomplished newsroom leader who will work closely with The Star’s Executive Editor to draw the highest quality journalism from our reporters, editors and visual journalists and drive newsroom collaboration. This person must have experience in newsroom transformation and be prepared to approach the role with fresh ideas about how best to serve both our readers and those who should be readers.
This is a unique opportunity to experiment with new ways to provide essential journalism that makes a difference in the lives of our neighbors.
Success will be measured by the distinctive journalism produced as well as audience and subscriber growth for that differentiated content. This requires a command of audience analytics and knowledge of the tactics that deliver results, as well as a desire to experiment, iterate and adjust as the news environment dictates. Empowering journalists across our newsroom to learn and employ audience-focused approaches to journalism is key to success.
The Managing Editor will report to The Star’s Executive Editor.
If this is you, please apply.
- The proven ability to lead, inspire, and convey knowledge to others and to work effectively with a wide range of colleagues in managing change.
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced, constantly evolving, and more outcome-oriented than task-oriented.
- At least five years of experience as a successful leader of a newsroom or large team.
- Experience working collaboratively across a large organization.
- A focus on ensuring that our content and staffing represent the fullness of our community and the diversity of the people who live here.
- Experience working with news analytics to grow audience and increase subscriptions.
- Experience as a multi-platform storyteller, with passion for the written word as well as visual and audio journalism.
- Experience managing performance, including setting clear expectations, providing appropriate training and holding staff members accountable.
- The ability to solve problems, innovate and adapt in service of the primary goal, which is to produce quality journalism that reaches and engages readers and subscribers and has an impact.
What we’ll bring:
At McClatchy, you will join a supportive, flexible, collaborative team. McClatchy strives to be an employer of choice, and our benefits package is made with this goal in mind. With a focus on health, well-being, wealth and daily life, our package options include healthcare coverage for employees and their families, financial protection from expected and unexpected expenses, multiple no-cost wellness resources and even coverage for four-legged friends.
Our impact is growing every day. 30 growing markets. Over 65 million monthly readers. 56 Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger.
As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of a flexible, empowering, and exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growth—a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.