Assistant Opinion Editor
The Sacramento Bee/McClatchy California is seeking an Assistant Opinion Editor to support its five sister publications in California.
We are looking for a strong writer with sharp reporting skills who can hit the ground running as a contributing member of the Editorial Board and write regular editorials across a range of topics. The Assistant Opinion Editor will also select and prepare opinion content, including op-eds and columns, for publication.
The successful candidate will be expected to include a wide range of diverse political views with the aim of engaging readers and leading a civil community conversation about local public policy issues. He or she will also edit staff-produced editorials and columns for publication across the state.
This position requires a digital metabolism. This person will grow readership of our editorials, submitted pieces and optimize stories with additional components, including video. We will be successful if we are at the center of our communities, leading a relevant discussion and debate of local issues that affect our readers.
From a statewide standpoint, this person will share regular updates/story budget with Opinion Editors in Fresno, San Luis Obispo, Modesto and Merced.
The Assistant Opinion Editor reports to the California Opinion Editor and will be based in Sacramento.
- Skill and versatility as a writer and editor, including the ability to shape opinion pieces in a way that best serves and engages the broadest possible audience.
- An understanding of audience engagement.
- Excellent news judgment, and a demonstrated ability to “see the story” that is going to matter to readers and to anticipate reader interests before they exist.
- Excellent journalism ethics and an understanding of our sourcing and attribution guidelines.
- An interest in and aptitude for storytelling using a broad range of media, including the written word, video, photography, podcasts and other audio, and whatever comes next.
- The ability to solve problems, innovate and adapt in service of the primary goal, which is to produce journalism that reaches and influences an audience of significant size.