Breaking News Reporter
The Kansas City Star is seeking a breaking news reporter with strong watchdog skills to join its award-winning news staff.
This beat will combine daily coverage of breaking news — crime, fires, accidents — with regular quick-turn and occasional long-term watchdog reporting on law enforcement and courts.
The position calls for a quick hand at publishing breaking news online and covering the action on the ground with social media and video. Just as important, the reporter will follow that up with accountability-focused reporting that scrutinizes the actions of public officials and institutions.
Our team is committed to doing journalism that holds truth to power and gives voice to the voiceless. If that's the kind of work that motivates you, we'd love to discuss this opportunity.
What you'll bring:
- Focus on stories that build and engage local readership
- Write with power and verve
- Build a network of sources so you can be first and best with stories that inform and engage readers
- Think about audience first and always, with a commitment to tactics that grow readership
- Master engaging multimedia storytelling
- Demonstrate speed, competitiveness and SEO savvy
- Work well in a team environment, both virtually and in person.
- Possess an unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism
- Work collaboratively to aggressively tackle stories with urgency
- Be comfortable with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced and constantly evolving
- Show excellent news judgment and the ability to “see the story” that is going to matter to readers
- Have reliable transportation. Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works)
The successful candidate should meet the following requirements:
- Familiarity with data and public records
- College degree or equivalent work experience
- One year or more of reporting experience
What we’ll bring:
As a journalist at McClatchy, you will join a supportive, flexible, collaborative team. McClatchy strives to be an employer of choice, and our benefits package is made with this goal in mind. With a focus on health, well-being, wealth and daily life, our package options include health care coverage for employees and their families, financial protection from expected and unexpected expenses, multiple no-cost wellness resources and even coverage for four-legged friends.
Our overall benefits package also includes a 401(k) with employer match, competitive paid time off and corporate holidays, and a variety of mental health benefits. With an excellent support team and with focus on your well-being as a top corporate strategy, McClatchy provides benefits to support you and your family in achieving your health and wellness goals. For more information on McClatchy's benefit plan, please visit McClatchyLivewell.com.
To apply, include a persuasive cover letter, your resume and four to six examples of your best work in the link below.
Our impact is growing every day. 30 growing markets. Over 65 million monthly readers. 56 Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger.
As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of a flexible, empowering, and exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growth—a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.