Breaking News Reporter
The Sun News seeks an aggressive journalist who can deliver exclusive breaking news reporting that informs and engages readers. The breaking news reporter will be expected to move fast when news breaks while producing deeper stories that make a difference in the lives of our readers. Serving readers in a crowded media marketplace means becoming the best and most relevant source of journalism that matters to them. - and ensuring that our work reaches them, wherever they are.
Our journalism focuses on our local communities, and in that role we have the ability to spotlight problems, highlight solutions and truly make a difference -- all the reasons you got into journalism. And we are part of McClatchy, a digitally driven company focused on innovation, with newsrooms in 30 communities in the United States.
We are located in Myrtle Beach, a growing and active community with unique restaurants and all of the outdoor activities you could ever want. Working at the beach can't be beat.
The breaking news reporter will have a demonstrated commitment to fairness and accuracy, in fact and in tone, and a strong grounding in journalism ethics. And like all journalists at The Sun News, the reporter must have demonstrated the desire and skills to build audience loyalty, engagement and growth around compelling public service journalism.
- College degree and two years prior experience preferred
- Strong writing and reporting skills and excellent news judgement
- Unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism
- Demonstrated ability to use social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter to reach audiences
- Fluency in the science of readership engagement, including and understanding of how to use analytics such as page views, time on site, referral sources and "shares and like" to help determine which stories resonate with which audiences.
- A demonstrated ability to tell stories using a variety of tools and platforms including video
- A demonstrated ability to learn new skills and technologies including content management systems; social media platforms; video editing software, and other analytics tools and any emerging storytelling tools and platforms.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy and the ability to take and give constructive criticism. The workflows require constant conversations between reporters and editors and between reporters and their audience as a story evolves.
- Demonstrated ability to work comfortable in a job that will be fast-paced, data-driven, shaped constantly by feedback and experimentation and always evolving.
- Must have reliable transportation. Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).