Transportation Lead Driver
Salary: $45,000 Annual
The Transportation Lead Driver will supervise drivers in the loading and delivery of all publications and products and help maintain, improve and supervise an efficient and transportation/distribution system and small fleet. Routinely balancing working hours driving partial shifts. Be willing and able to perform both duties concurrently.
Proven record of performance in a transportation/distribution/driving role.
AA or higher desired education level preferred; may be substituted for with a leadership role or multiple years of safely driving a truck (at least 26,000 GVW). .
Requires planning, scheduling, communication, employee reporting and tracking skills.
Working knowledge of DOT regulations and ability to work nights/weekends.
Clean driving abstract required.
Forklift experience a plus.
Five nights a week including weekends. Be accessible during time off if schedules / conditions require.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Supervises, trains, coaches and motivates drivers in a manner which instills teamwork, progression of skills, efficiency with high priority given to meeting deadlines and bundle and load accuracy.
- Redistributes drivers as needed.
- Work and dispatches from home as required.
- Schedules drivers to cover all loading and delivery shifts.
- Ensure all drivers report to work on time and comply with company policies or initiate progressive coaching as needed.
- Process daily manifests, carrier mail, product samples, store copies, other publications, & miscellaneous supplies prior to distribution.
- Monitor drivers' performance to ensure it complies with DOT regulations; keep required up-to-date files.
- Ensure that all truck runs are delivered within established time frames meeting or exceeding predetermined deadlines.
- Prepare daily distribution reports, Log trucks in and out ensuring the safety and vehicle checks are done pre and post operation.
- Ensure all vehicles are clean and coordinate their maintenance.
- Accountable for the accuracy of time cards/Kronos for all drivers.
- Provide training to new drivers including orientation & driver safety classes.
- Initiate reasoned contingency action in the event of vehicle failure/accident to ensure delivery of the load. Arrange for appropriate vehicle recovery as needed and post-accident report and urinalysis as appropriate.
- Write and administer written and performance appraisals in accordance with company and departmental standards.
- Reasonably proficient in using a computer on a company network.
- Other duties as assigned.