Audience Growth Producer
The Charlotte Observer is seeking an Audience Growth Producer to diversify and grow readership for our journalism and to connect with our communities. The successful candidate will engage with readers on social media, through newsletters and across our digital platforms.
Audience Growth Producers are also experts in SEO and news alert strategy, and they are responsible for helping to determine the best ways to reach our readers and elevate our articles, videos and multimedia packages. Keen news judgment, strong communication and writing skills, and the ability to collaborate are musts. And an enthusiasm for creative engagement as well as public service journalism is essential.
We’re seeking a versatile and resourceful journalist who enjoys working closely with editors and reporters to ensure our journalism is reaching the right audience at the right time. This role is on an audience team that works closely with the Rock Hill Herald as well as sister North Carolina news site the Raleigh News & Observer.
Charlotte is a fast-growing metro area that is also one of the most livable communities in the nation. With a vibrant business community, sports arts and culture scene, The Charlotte Observer is the go-to source for news and information about the community.
We are also part of McClatchy, a digitally driven company focused on innovation, with newsrooms in 30 communities in the United States.
In this role, you will need to:
- Create and manage news-focused social media campaigns that stand out thanks to your sharp, clean and conversational share text and result in high engagement with our local audiences. Video, Instagram and TikTok experience a plus.
- Lead journalism engagement projects to connect with our readers and communities.
- Coach newsrooms on SEO best practices, ensuring local and breaking news stories are surfaced for readers through search.
- Write and/or curate daily and weekly newsletters.
- Write engaging headlines that draw readers into our articles.
- Effectively use analytics tools such as Parse.ly to make real-time decisions and develop digital strategies.
- Experiment with new audience tools and platforms.
- Identify audience strategies for high-impact journalism projects.
- Other digital audience growth duties as needed.
The successful candidate should meet many, though not necessarily all, of the following requirements:
- College degree or equivalent work experience
- 1-2 years of news writing, editing and/or digital experience.
- Strong writing skills and excellent news judgment.
- A demonstrated understanding of digital audiences.
- Experience managing social media accounts.
- Working knowledge of SEO concepts and Google Trends.
- May include evening and weekend shifts.
- Ability to collaborate with team members both remotely and in the newsroom in a fast-paced news environment. Must have reliable transportation.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application.
About McClatchy: Our impact is growing every day. We have 30 growing news markets. Over 65 million monthly readers. 56 Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger. As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of an exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growth—a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.