The position has on-site responsibility for audience growth of the newspaper’s entire in-home product portfolio. This includes, but is not limited, to each newspaper’s home delivery, NIE, and 3rd party print circulation, the TMC and targeted non-paid print products, digital subscriptions, and web traffic, DealSaver registrants and engagement with all the newspaper’s digital offerings.
The position will also have a responsibility to ensure that Logistics work conducted for the assigned newspaper is done in a world-class manner. This will include developing solid operational practices and customer services practices that meet and exceed the consumer’s expectations.
The Home Delivery Coordinator will also be responsible for identifying, developing and delivering on various financial and audience goals including but not limited to audience growth, retention, expense, revenue and operating cash flow; anticipating declines and/or shortfalls in delivering on goals; and developing and executing plans to address declines and/or shortfalls for the assigned newspaper.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following. Other duties may be assigned as needed to ensure success for the assigned newspaper.
- Responsible for supporting, communicating and adhering to the newspaper’s mission, vision and core values.
- Responsible for knowing, communicating and delivering on the core strategies, audience targets, audience revenue targets and audience division cash flow targets. Identifies alternatives for delivering on strategies and targets when shortfalls are anticipated.
- Responsible for the coordination, performance of the assigned newspapers Logistics team.
- Responsible for the implementation of an effective distribution process that ensures world-class delivery to all homes within the newspaper’s designated market which should include a transition to a distributor type operation.
- Defines, develops, and interprets goals and objectives, policies and procedures for the Logistics department at the assigned newspaper.
- Responsible for delivering great service to the readers and users of each newspaper’s products and services. This service will include both product delivery and consumer interaction through contacts made with consumers both inbound and outbound.
- Manages the daily operation of the home delivery department to ensure high-level subscriber satisfaction.
- Coordinates and maintains a high degree of communication with the senior management teams at the assigned newspaper and with the regional logistics team.
- Resolves subscriber, carrier and distributor issues.
- Establishes or adjusts employee work schedules to accomplish delivery service goals.
- Interprets company policies to workers and enforces safety regulations.
- Monitors safety performance of workers.
- Performs activities of supervised employees when necessary.
- Established and maintains proper relationships with distributors.
- Challenge distributors (distribution companies) to achieve goal and replace ineffective distributors.
- Responsible to find and negotiate with future distribution companies and negotiate contract renewals.
- Maintain all contracts, addenda, amendments and documents complete, accurate, current and on file.
- Ensure all rates are supported by the contract, addenda, and amendments.
- The position is a 24-hour operation. Must be flexible working AM and PM shifts and subject to “on-call” as needed.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES include serving in a senior leadership role having responsibility for the audience development team at the assigned newspaper
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities as assigned in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Ensures accountability by position in the assigned newspaper to ensure each person delivers on the targets.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; and 2-4 years related experience and/or training, including at least 5 years of management level experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Requires a prior work history that demonstrates strong, successful leadership ability and a solid understanding of the complexities of newspaper circulation, audience development, sales, distribution, and marketing. Excellent written, verbal and organizational development skills.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as distribution fees, wholesale and retail rates, commissions, proportions, and percentages.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid driver’s license.