Columnist - Sports
Writes about sporting events or topics on a regular basis for publication digitally and in print. Analyzes information and offers opinion according to a schedule with varying hours that typically include nights and weekends. May represent the newspaper at public events. Other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1) Gather facts from sources or public events and write opinion accounts based on that information.
2) Write columns and blogs that are fair, accurate, and meet test of legal liability.
3) Perform work under short-and long-term deadlines.
4) Use a source network and other media sources to generate future columns.
5) Build and maintain audience through social media and other means.
6) Other duties as assigned.
Five years experience as a sports columnist or reporter in a major market.
Demonstrated mastery of reporting skills.
Demonstrated ability to use computers and other digital tools.