Subscription Platform Architect
McClatchy IT creates, deploys, and maintains software that powers over seventy periodical Web sites, including miamiherald.com, charlotteobserver.com, and newsobserver.com (Raleigh, NC). All of the Web sites are hosted and monitored in enterprise-class data centers.
Additionally, McClatchy IT supports all of the Web sites with hands-on technical training, consulting services, and 24/7 customer service.
Our work location preference would be remotely based in the Central time or Eastern time zones.
A Software Architect at McClatchy designs solutions, creates proof of concepts, mentors developers, performs code reviews and explores new technologies that would fit into our existing enterprise architecture.
Software Architects work closely with colleagues, one or more multidisciplinary Agile teams, the department head, product owners, and others to define deliverables, divide and conquer assignments, design solutions, and write code.
The ideal candidate for the position is an expert in one or more of the following: Go, Rust, Ruby on Rails; C++; Object-oriented PHP; MySQL; Node.js. The ideal candidate has at least four-six years in Service or Web development, and at least two years in an area of specialization.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is between $135,000 and $165,000 annually. Individual base pay may vary within that range depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, relevant education, department equity, training, geography, and local wage and hours laws.
- Structured design and development in a service oriented architecture
- Design and development of unit test modules
- Peer code reviews
- Creation of documentation for both developer and end-user consumption
- Providing training to other developers and customer service personnel
- After-hours availability for emergency issues.
- Bachelor's degree or advanced degree in computer science, electrical or computer engineering, physics, or mathematics is preferred but not required
- Four-six years of professional programming experience
- At least two years in any of the aforementioned areas of expertise
- Experience leading a multi-disciplinary agile team
- Enterprise-scale software development
- Experience with a revision control system (e. g. GIT, Subversion)
Required Special Skills/Licenses/Certifications:
- Modern software design patterns; development in a team environment
- Experience architecting cloud-based solutions for scalability and performance
- Solid knowledge of Unix or Linux, the command-line, scripting, configuration and administration
- Customer service skills
Desired Special Skills/Licenses/Certifications:
- Agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban)
- REST API structure and usage
- Test-driven development, unit tests, test automation
- Web Services in a Service-Oriented Architecture
- Data caching (Varnish, memcached, etc.).
What we’ll bring:
As a journalist at McClatchy, you will join a supportive, flexible, collaborative team. McClatchy strives to be an employer of choice, and our benefits package is made with this goal in mind. With a focus on well-being and daily life, our package options include healthcare coverage for employees and their families, financial protection from expected and unexpected expenses, multiple no-cost wellness resources and even coverage for four-legged friends.
Our overall benefits package also includes a 401(k) with employer match, competitive paid time off and corporate holidays, and a variety of mental health benefits. For more information on McClatchy's benefit plan, please visit McClatchyLivewell.com.
Our impact is growing every day. We have 30 growing news markets. Over 65 million monthly readers. 56 Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger.
As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of an exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growth — a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.