CA Regional Growth Producer
We’re looking for a creative, high-energy journalist to join our regional audience growth team, which works across 10 newsrooms in California, Washington and Boise.
The team is responsible for determining the best ways to promote our journalism and engage with readers. Our goals are to build long-term engagement and loyalty while continuing to attract new communities of readers.
Candidates must have strong writing, editing and visuals skills. They will need a solid understanding of social media, and should be comfortable experimenting with other distribution methods such as newsletters and push alerts.
The ideal candidate would have experience working in content management systems and social platforms, plus a working knowledge with respect to editing video. The candidate must be organized and able to multitask, as he or she will be working with multiple newsrooms daily. Keen news judgment, strong communications skills and the ability to collaborate with fellow employees are also musts. Ability to write engaging headlines and a working knowledge of SEO are key skills.
This regional growth producer will be based in Sacramento and will report to the regional growth editor, also based in Sacramento. Night and weekend hours are a possibility.
Sacramento is California’s capital city and the only major city in California that’s growing. It’s got a great local food and drink scene and is minutes from hiking and biking in the foothills and just an hour and a half from San Francisco.
- Manage newsroom social media accounts. Deep expertise in a specific platform (ie, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) is a plus, however you will work on all platforms.
- Assist in creating strategies for engagement and crowdsourcing.
- Manage our homepages and optimize story pages.
- Monitor real-time analytics for stories and videos, and make decisions based on that information.
- Assist reporters and editors with story packaging and content promotion. This includes identifying target audiences, determining story format, and improving and testing headlines.
- Produce customized newsletters and manage push alerts.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-3 years of writing and/or production and editing experience
- Ability to write engaging headlines
- Working knowledge of SEO and digital best practices
- Solid news judgment
- A demonstrated understanding of digital audiences
- Ability to collaborate with a remote team located throughout the region