National Audience Editor (News)
McClatchy’s national audience editor will lead the news division’s efforts to drive reach, loyalty and subscriptions. This editor will work hand-in-hand with news leadership and newsroom editors to identify and implement audience growth strategies and tactics and will be the news division’s day-to-day liaison with McClatchy’s audience development team.
LOCATION: Washington, D.C., or another McClatchy newsroom
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborating with leadership in news, audience and product to craft and implement strategies that drive reach, loyalty and subscriptions across McClatchy’s newsrooms. This includes working with regional growth editors and news analytics to identify, guide and sometimes lead content and platform experiments
- Facilitating communication and prioritization of news initiatives with audience and product to help ensure alignment
- Supervising email newsletter campaigns, including creating a process for launching new newsletters and working with technology and product to ensure proper setup and training
- Ensuring that successes and best practices are shared widely across the news division
- Developing remote and onsite coaching and training programs for our newsrooms and growth teams.
- Working with business development and product to implement and track experiments on driving readership and growing engagement through Facebook, Twitter and other social platforms. This includes implementation of Facebook’s breaking news notification initiative.
- Working with the national real-time team to find new and creative opportunities to connect with the largest possible audiences·
- Working with McClatchy’s DC bureau and national politics team on strategies and tactics for driving audience throughout the 2020 presidential campaign
- Taking a lead audience growth role in companywide initiatives such as Table Stakes
- At least five years’ experience working in or with newsrooms
- At least three years’ experience in an audience development role
- A proven record of creating successful content strategies and tactics that drive audience reach, loyalty and conversion
- Fluency in analytics and how to apply them
- Experience training professional teams
- Experience working with platform partners
- A demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a diverse highly collaborative team
- A demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, both one-on-one and across a large enterprise
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but a proven record of commensurate will be considered
- Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience: Minimum of three years of experience in a content-related audience development role.
- Skills Needed: Experience with Adobe Analytics, Adobe Campaign or similar email marketing platform, Parse.ly, SocialFlow, CrowdTangle, Slack, G Suite and content management systems. (McClatchy uses CCI.)
- Personal Attributes: Energy, flexibility and a collaborative spirit. The ability to monitor and synthesize vast amounts of information to make it actionable. Attention to detail. The ability to execute both quickly and well, with creativity.