Washington Government Reporter
The Olympian together with its three sister newspapers in Washington is looking for an aggressive reporter to cover state government.
The right candidate has a knack for building sources, digging into data and doesn’t back down from accountability journalism. She or he must understand readership and engagement and balance both with a demanding and fast-paced position.
We seek a strong journalist who excels at watchdog and accountability reporting and can handle in-depth work and research as well as breaking news.
He or she must be a team player as they will work closely with the Washington regional editor and local editors in Olympia, Tacoma, Bellingham and the Tri-Cities region to understand needs of each and how to develop stories for each audience as warranted.
Washington is a forward-looking state that has been pushed to the edge during the coronavirus pandemic. While we will be charged with rebuilding, there are plenty of other key issues that we’ll cover: growth, homelessness, immigration, environment, housing, just to name a few.
To put it simply, this is one of the most critical reporting positions in the state as we look at the recovery process, and we’re looking for an aggressive and fair reporter ready to dive in.
- Strong writing and reporting skills and excellent news judgment
- Track record of building sources to develop exclusive content
- Unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism
- Previous experience covering state government
- Proven success in building an audience through social media
- Good working knowledge of SEO
- Demonstrated ability to work comfortably in a job that will be fast-paced, data-driven, shaped constantly by feedback and experimentation and always evolving