Strategic Business Development Director - Remote US
Are YOU Innovative, Risk Tolerant, a Hustler, Critical Thinker and Results-Oriented? Looking for a new opportunity?
Join our Business Development & Strategic Partnerships Team!
Position can be located in any location, remote based
The McClatchy Media company is building a new team that is creative in their approach to ‘think differently" about how we leverage strategic partnerships, approach emerging verticals, engage technology and drive new revenue streams for sustainable success here at McClatchy.
The Strategic Business Development Director is responsible for identifying, uncovering and securing strategic partnerships and opportunities that drive non-traditional revenue or create more efficiencies for our core sales teams to close business faster with less fixed costs.
They will partner with the VP - Business Development & Strategic Partnerships and other Strategic Business Development Directors to research emerging verticals to build strategy, partnerships and revenue streams for McClatchy as well as leverage technology to change the future of sales for the advertising division.
- Evaluate, assess, pursue and acquire new or non-traditional revenue opportunities and strategic partnerships at a deliberate and consistent pace, leveraging the strength of our audience and platforms.
- Uncover, develop and implement key strategies in emerging categories and verticals that drive new revenue streams through cross-division, cross-functional collaboration.
- Negotiate and secure partnerships that bring value through increased operating efficiency for core sales teams or to reduce fixed costs.
- Evaluate the economic and strategic cost-benefit of strategic partnerships, leveraging experts across the company as needed.
- Manage a pipeline of opportunities, strategic partnerships and non-traditional revenue streams to efficiently move them through the process, updating status regularly and in collaboration with key stakeholders across the enterprise.
- Collaborate on creation and shaping of our value proposition, telling our story for potential partnerships and strategic opportunities.
- Develop and implement strategies to test, iterate and then scale across the organization that help drive growth in revenue and leverage technology to drive efficiencies in processes for core sales teams – with an eye on sustainability and profitability.
- Achieve quarterly targets for driving non-traditional and strategic revenue across the enterprise.
- Evaluate and test new platforms, tools, automation and AI technology that drive revenue and efficiency across our core sales teams.
- Engage in other projects and duties as needed to support the strategic objectives of the advertising division.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to articulate and present our value proposition to potential partners and strategic opportunities using data.
- Strong research skills and willingness to roll up your sleeves to identify, research and evaluate a potential partner, opportunity or emerging vertical.
- Proven ability to advance discussions quickly with strategic opportunities and partnerships and close deals.
- Critical thinker, collaborative, creative, results-oriented and deadline-driven.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Ability to work remotely and maintain relationships on a distanced basis with colleagues across McClatchy.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university; preferably in business (BBA) with an emphasis in marketing and business development, or the equivalent education, experience, skills and knowledge needed to do the job.
- 3-5 years or more experience identifying, assessing, negotiating and securing strategic partnerships to successfully drive new revenue streams.
- Effective communication skills will be vital.
- Experience selling and partnering with businesses at all levels of an organization from c-suite to front line.
Results-driven - Goal-oriented. Acts with urgency. Strives for successful outcomes in serving customers/readers/advertisers. Tackles problems and unlocks opportunities through the generation and support of new ideas and solutions.
Communication - Engaged listening; creates a commitment to action by presenting ideas in a clear, concise manner
Teamwork - Works harmoniously with colleagues. Shares critical information works effectively across functional lines, recognizes others for their contributions. Handles self professionally.
Initiative - Identifies what needs to be done and takes appropriate action. Innovates creates and looks for solutions that will benefit the business.
Personal accountability - Performs work in a timely manner with consistent attention to quality. Follows through and meets all commitments. Manages time and resources effectively (including attendance). Shows sound decision-making.
Integrity/Ethics - Understands and upholds corporate and company ethics policies. Demonstrates a high standard of fairness in all dealings. Honors commitments. Acts in the best interest of the organization. Leads by example. Treats all people with fairness, honesty, respect, compassion and dignity.
Continuous learning and improvement - Seeks out opportunities to improve skill for current responsibilities and future needs. Embraces new technology, systems and assignments. Considers feedback openly and adapts behavior as needed.
Customer focus - Strives to meet high quality and quantity standards in meeting customers’ needs (staff and external clients).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work required of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, or competencies. As the needs of our customers change, employees will need to be flexible in assuming new responsibilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise. Your employment relationship with The McClatchy Company, McClatchy Shared Services or an affiliate is "at will".
DRIVER FOR MCCLATCHY
- Must have reliable transportation. Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works
Excellent compensation package and benefits available.