Senior Benefits Analyst
Under broad supervision, this position will oversee company-wide benefits programs including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, flexible spending plans, voluntary benefits, and 401(k). Employees in this job classification act as the lead for the benefits team.
This lead position helps set the strategic direction for company health and wellness initiatives; addresses benefits-related employee relations issues; vendor management; leads projects; reviews and updates summary plan descriptions and education materials; reviews plan documents and contracts for accuracy and legal compliance; analyzes the impact of new legislation on plans and implements changes as needed.
This job classification requires extensive knowledge of benefit plan designs, ERISA, HIPAA, state and local laws, and other benefits-related regulations, problem-solving and analytical skills, as well as the ability to multitask.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is between 80,000 and 95,000 annually. Individual base pay may vary within that range depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, relevant education, department equity, training, geography and local wage and hours laws.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works with benefit consultants on annual health plan renewals and other company-wide benefit programs. Develops and assesses cost impact of alternatives. Makes plan design recommendations to bring programs into alignment with company strategies and philosophies.
- Acts in a lead role and is a senior benefits resource for other team members.
- Performs detailed review of health care contracts, administrative service agreements, evidence of coverage booklets, and vendor communication materials to ensure accuracy and legal compliance.
- Works in a lead role on many new benefit initiatives. This includes evaluating prospective vendors, negotiating fees, project management during implementation, and developing and monitoring ongoing service quality metrics.
- Leads company wellness initiatives. Makes recommendations to improve overall employee participation and wellness.
- Works with other team members to analyze, assess and track the cost of various company-wide benefits programs to evaluate the efficiencies of plans. Develops audits to ensure the integrity of benefits data.
- Assists other staff in the resolution of complex benefits-related employee relations issues.
- Oversees 401(k) plan administration and engagement.
- Plans and develops communication materials for ongoing employee engagement and annual open enrollment.
- Performs other related projects and work as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business or related degree; or comparable number of years of professional work experience.
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience administering corporate benefits or equivalent experience.
- Some accounting or payroll knowledge.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Advanced computer skills including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and/or Google Suite. Knowledge of PeopleSoft and/or UKG preferred.
- Good customer service skills
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to interact with all levels of the organization, develop effective working relationships with outside vendors and work well in a team environment.
- Ability to work well under pressure and effectively re-evaluate changing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and escalate issues when appropriate.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
SHRM-SCP, CEBS or SPHR certification, a plus.
What we’ll bring:
As an employee at McClatchy, you will join a supportive, flexible, collaborative team. McClatchy strives to be an employer of choice, and our benefits package is made with this goal in mind. With a focus on health, well-being, wealth and daily life, our package options includes healthcare coverage for employees and their families, financial protection from expected and unexpected expenses, multiple no-cost wellness resources and even coverage for four-legged friends.
Our overall benefits package also includes a 401(k) with employer match, competitive paid time off and corporate holidays, and a variety of mental health benefits. With an excellent support team and with focus on your well-being as a top corporate strategy, McClatchy provides benefits to support you and your family in achieving your health and wellness goals. For more information on McClatchy's benefit plan, please visit McClatchyLivewell.com.
Our impact is growing every day. 30 growing markets. Over 65 million monthly readers. 56 Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger.
As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of a flexible, empowering, and exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growth—a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.