Breaking News Reporter
The Ledger-Enquirer in Columbus, Georgia, is looking for an aggressive, lightning-fast reporter who can jump on breaking news that is essential to our communities and tell the stories through words, photos and video as well as on social media.
From late-night mayhem to business openings and everything in between, this reporter will identify the breaking stories that our communities need or want to know about, tell them in an engaging way, update them as often as necessary and help them reach a large audience by adding an interesting headline, impeccable SEO and great visuals.
You must understand the need for speed as well as context, and you must be committed to increasing the sense of urgency across the newsroom. Your goal is to help us grow our audience reach and earn loyal readers by making sure we are a credible, timely and compelling source of breaking news in Columbus and surrounding counties.
Note: This position will work morning shifts, Monday through Friday, and will take part in a rotation basis to cover up to a few holidays each year.
- 1+ years of reporting experience.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- Must have vehicle insurance (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).
- Strong writing and reporting skills and excellent news judgment.
- The ability to shoot passable photos and videos.
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics.
- Understanding of open records laws and the ability to file, manage and oversee requests pertinent to beat work.
- Ability to engage with readers and develop sources on social media platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Understanding of SEO and other optimization opportunities and a demonstrated ability to learn new skills in social and digital.
- Ability to correctly identify audiences for selected stories.
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and high energy.
- A collaborative style that works comfortably across teams spread throughout the office and company.
When Applying: Please include samples of your work or a link to your online portfolio
The Columbus metro area is home to about 200,000 residents. Our newsroom is located in the downtown area where delicious restaurants, the Chattahoochee River, museums and other entertainment are easily accessible. Atlanta is only a 90 minute drive north and Fort Benning, one of the Army's largest training sites in the country, is 15 minutes south of downtown. Interested in hiking, rafting, biking and other outdoor activities? There's an abundance of choices depending on your skill level. Columbus State University also attracts thousands of students each year.
Check out some of the work of our talented team: www.ledger-enquirer.com