Central Valley Collaborative Lab Project Editor
The Central Valley Collaborative Lab is searching for a Project Manager to lead Phase 1 of the Co-Lab. Upon completion of Phase 1, there is opportunity for the Project Manager role to expand both in hours and scope in Phase 2. In both phases, the Project Manager will be the glue to this multi-faceted reporting project, guiding and coordinating stakeholders and projects while overseeing editorial content.
The Central Valley Collaborative Lab is a year-long reporting project to elevate and amplify the impacts of COVID-19 on minority communities in Fresno and the central San Joaquin Valley. The project will include audio, data visualization, live events and traditional story formats, and will be produced in Spanish and English. Participants in the Co-Lab to date include: Valley Public Radio, The Fresno Bee, Vida en el Valle, and Radio Bilingue. The project manager will be a Fresno Bee employee.
This is a collaborative reporting effort that is supported financially by Microsoft. It will include reporting in both English and Spanish.
The goal of the Central Valley Collaborative Lab is to reach new audiences and demonstrate the value of local news and information as a driving force as people make critical decisions for their communities. With recognition that people of color have been disproportionately impacted by COVID-19, which is exacerbated by their role as overrepresented among essential workers in California’s Central Valley, the Central Valley Collaborative Lab will explore how impacted communities navigate challenges including educational attainment, economic security, healthcare, housing and more.
- Maintain constant knowledge of current and upcoming projects for the Central Valley Collaborative Lab
- Proactively track progress and activities of the COVID and Diverse Communities Reporter and staff members who are part of the collaborative across all participating news organizations
- Manage communication and coordinate efforts across platforms and participants
- Develop and manage the budget for the Central Valley Collaborative Lab
- Maintain documentation of the Central Valley Collaborative Lab’s projects for reporting purposes
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in project management, journalism, or media production
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Expert at prioritization and collaboration
- Ability to edit content for digital/print and audio
- Ability to manage through ambiguity and put systems in place to organize efforts
- Strong attention to detail while still maintaining the ability to see the big picture
- Proven ability to work effectively across differences, including race, gender, and culture