Breaking News Reporter
The Kansas City Star is seeking a passionate, enterprising, and thoughtful reporter who can dig deeper and uncover the most impactful stories in the day's breaking news. This reporter would join a team at The Star dedicated to covering day-to-day breaking news across the Kansas City Region.
The goal of this reporter will be to be first and best on breaking news of all kinds. The successful candidate will bring a watchdog eye to this coverage as well as a desire to understand and illuminate the human toll of the breaking news events we're covering.
This position is located in the Kansas City metropolitan area.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field preferred
- Prior professional work experience as a reporter
- The ability to write quickly, accurately and well
- A commitment to provide accurate information, both in fact and in context
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics
- An understanding of how to verify the authenticity of information, sources, photos and video found through social media
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and a strong sense of urgency
- A collaborative style that works comfortably as part of a team operating both virtually and in-person.
- The ability to quickly master technology, including content management systems and storytelling tools