National Real-Time Reporter
McClatchy is looking for ambitious, creative real-time news reporters to deliver quick-turn stories about compelling news and cultural events from across the world.
Our real-time reporters use social media, Google Trends, other tools and curiosity to identify, report on and sometimes aggregate stories that are going to drive social and cultural conversations. Responding to big breaking news events is sometimes part of the job, but the primary role is to grow our audience by recognizing what’s trending or about to trend in a McClatchy region or across the country.
These reporters work as part of McClatchy’s national Real-Time Team, which includes editors and reporters based remotely across the country.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is between $22.60 and $23.56 per hour. Individual base pay may vary within that range depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, relevant education, department equity, training, geography and local wage and hours laws.
The most compelling candidates will have:
- The ability to write quickly, accurately and well
- A commitment to providing accurate information, both in fact and in context
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics
- Must be able to take constructive criticism and work closely with editors
- An understanding of how to verify the authenticity of information, sources, photos and video found through social media
- An intuitive sense of what’s important and interesting
- A good grasp of what drives interest on Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms and an understanding of the tools used to find story ideas
- A good understanding of how to write for search
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and a strong sense of urgency
- A collaborative style that works comfortably as part of a virtual team
- The ability to quickly master technology, including content management systems and storytelling tools
- A sense of humor and a willingness to be part of a close-knit team that works together as one
College degree preferred but commensurate professional experience will be considered.
Creativity, flexibility, and online smarts. The ability to monitor torrents of information matched with discerning judgment about what to pursue. The ability to execute both quickly and well. Impeccable ethics and the willingness to be a team player are a must.
What we’ll bring:
As a journalist at McClatchy, you will join a supportive, flexible, collaborative team. McClatchy strives to be an employer of choice, and our benefits package is made with this goal in mind. With a focus on health, well-being, wealth and daily life, our package options include healthcare coverage for employees and their families, financial protection from expected and unexpected expenses, multiple no-cost wellness resources and even coverage for four-legged friends.
Our overall benefits package also includes a 401(k) with employer match, competitive paid time off and corporate holidays, and a variety of mental health benefits. With an excellent support team and with focus on your well-being as a top corporate strategy, McClatchy provides benefits to support you and your family in achieving your health and wellness goals. For more information on McClatchy's benefit plan, please visit McClatchyLivewell.com.
Include a persuasive cover letter explaining how your experience meshes with this job, your resume and links to some examples of your best work.
Our impact is growing every day. Thirty growing markets. More than 65 million monthly readers. Fifty-six Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger.
As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of a flexible, empowering, and exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growth—a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.