This job primarily focuses on K-12 education in South Florida, with a laser pointed at Miami-Dade public schools but also may provide some coverage of private schools. The Miami-Dade County school district is the fourth largest in the nation. The school system is a major employer that educates hundreds of thousands of students, and taxes every property owner.
The successful candidate will unearth exclusive, news-breaking reporting on everything from student performance to teacher and administrator accountability and the tension between traditional public schools and charter schools and much, much more.
Covering the district requires a keen a key eye for enterprise, knowledge of Florida’s public records laws, and the ability to drive forward on stories when the system works to bog you down.
That means moving fast on breaking news while producing enterprise pieces that capture trends and hold administrators -- and the superintendent -- accountable.
This is a full-time position that includes occasional weekends, nights and holidays. The person in this role will create daily stories, videos and enterprise for miamiherald.com and elnuevoherald.com and engage with our audience through all of our social media channels.
The ideal candidate will proactively self-assign stories and handle assignments as needed. He/she should be an idea generator with strong social media skills who can identify and include impacted people in stories. He/she should be able to work traditional sources as well as social media and be comfortable using analytics to identify the stories people are talking about or will be talking about.
In addition to traditional reporting and writing, you need to:
- Select stories with an eye for audience engagement and traffic
- Monitor trending topics from social media to inform editorial decisions
- Manage photos, headlines, links, SEO and story packaging for publishing on MiamiHerald.com
- Aggregate content from third-party sources using related links, photo galleries, and videos
- Engage with readers on social media platforms
- Monitor competitive web sites and social media in your coverage area and personal areas of interest
Desired skills and experience:
- Minimum of 2 years of reporting and writing experience in a news organization
- Background in education preferred, local reporting a plus
- Spanish language ability preferred.
- A good feel for audience interest and trends
- Fresh writing style in an engaging, conversational voice
- Comfort with video, basic video editing, photography, and word-processing and spreadsheet programs
- Team player who works collaboratively
Physical activity requirements:
- May work in an office environment. Requires ability to move from one location to another, sitting, standing, bending, talking, hearing, use of near, mid-range and far vision, and making visual accommodations.
- Uses computer, which may require prolonged keyboarding and using of mouse.
- Lifting of report/computer printouts may be necessary – up to 20 lbs.
- Employee may work more than his/her scheduled number of hours and may work non-traditional business hours.
- Ground or air travel may be necessary.
- Employee must have a valid Florida driver license, dependable vehicle, and carry vehicle insurance.
- Regular and reliable attendance is a necessary element of this job.
The Miami Herald is an Equal Opportunity Employer