Breaking Business News Reporter
North Texas is among the fastest-growing regions in the country, attracting workers, businesses and retail outlets due to its quality of life and cost of living. From new places to shop, to new home and office construction, to the expansion of existing businesses, the area continues to change. We’re looking for an aggressive, lightning-fast reporter who can be the go-to guide for North Texans on retail outlets, new businesses, development deals and jobs. This reporter will provide the latest on what's opening and what's closing in the retail world, along with who closed that big development deal, and who’s hiring or laying off.
This reporter will tell stories through words, photos and video as well as on social media and will break news in an engaging way, updating stories as often as necessary and helping those stories reach a large audience by adding an irresistible headline, impeccable SEO and great visuals.
This reporter must understand the need for speed as well as context and must be committed to increasing the sense of urgency across the newsroom. The goal is to help us grow our audience reach and earn loyal readers by making sure we are a credible, timely and compelling source of business news in Tarrant and surrounding counties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
This reporter will consistently manage multiple data points, from public permits to incentives awarded. The successful candidate will operate with an insatiable curiosity, and will prefer to report from outside the office, discovering the latest developments in this dynamic region. He or she will successfully share his or her work (stories, databases, interactives, etc) across multiple platforms and outlets.
The ability to tell a story independent of words – using video and other alt story forms – is critical. Social distribution channels will be used effectively. A review of audience metrics and what can be learned from them will be part of this reporter’s regular routine.
- Bachelor's Degree in related field and one to two year's experience preferred
- Strong writing and reporting skills and excellent news judgment;
- The ability to shoot passable photos and videos;
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics;
- Understanding of open records laws and the ability to file, manage and oversee requests pertinent to beat work;
- Ability to engage with readers and develop sources on social media platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter;
- Understanding of SEO and other optimization opportunities and a demonstrated ability to learn new skills in social and digital;
- Ability to correctly identify audiences for selected stories;
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and high energy;
- A collaborative style that works comfortably across teams spread throughout the office and company. We will work comfortably in a job that will be fast-paced, data-driven, shaped constantly by feedback and experimentation and always evolving.