Executive Editor, Miami Herald & El Nuevo Herald
McClatchy is seeking a strategic, collaborative news leader to lead one of America’s great metro news organizations, the Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.
As Executive Editor, the person in this role will work with a talented team of journalists to reach an ever-growing and increasingly diverse audience of readers, viewers and listeners in South Florida. This leader should embrace and elevate the newsroom as the preeminent local media brand in the market. The opportunity is to accelerate our digital transition, leveraging a storied and high-impact newsroom into a sustainable news operation that produces accountability journalism, relevant service journalism and breaking news that is first and best on the most important issues to our local communities.
The successful candidate will be a talented news editor who can help draw the best work from our reporters, editors, visual and audience growth journalists. This person must be a thoughtful leader with experience in newsroom transformation, someone able to approach the role with creative, fresh ideas on how to serve a local audience that is as diverse as the country overall.
The leader should have a proven commitment to raising standards for diversity and inclusion both in news coverage and talent recruitment.
We are looking for a bold, accomplished business leader with strong communication skills, a sense of urgency and perseverance, and a leader who can drive engagement at all levels of the organization. The person in this position should be eager to collaborate with colleagues at all levels of the Herald organization and across the McClatchy enterprise.
The candidate should possess the ability to move the needle on community engagement so that it ties directly to local audience growth. Success in this role will be measured by the distinctive and audience-centric journalism produced by the Herald newsroom as well as audience and subscriber growth and retention for that differentiated content. This requires a command of audience analytics and knowledge of the tactics that deliver results, as well as a commitment to continuous learning and a desire to experiment, iterate and adjust across platforms as the news environment dictates.
Change is a central feature of a digital newsroom, and the next Executive Editor must be both confident and conscientious in guiding a motivated newsroom to always keep our community’s interests at the heart of our journalism.
- At least 10 years of experience as a successful leader of a newsroom or large news team.
- Experience working with news analytics to grow audience and drive subscriptions.
- Experience building successful teams and experimenting with purpose to better serve our local audiences.
- Experience as a multi-platform storyteller, with passion for the written word as well as video. Audio experience is a bonus.
- Knowledge of Miami and South Florida, and the many communities served by el Nuevo Herald.
- Spanish language skills strongly preferred but not required.
- The proven ability to lead, inspire, and convey knowledge to others and to work effectively with a wide range of colleagues in managing change.
- Strong collaboration and interpersonal skills, including empathy and a superior ear for tone.
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced, constantly evolving, and more outcome-oriented than task-oriented.
- The ability to articulate and reinforce standards for ethics and professional conduct as well as journalistic excellence.
- An interest in the science of readership and engagement and a zeal for understanding and using readership data to inform the editorial process.
- A focus on ensuring that our content and staffing represents the fullness of our community and the diversity of the people who live here.
- An interest in and aptitude for storytelling using a broad range of media, including the written word, video, photography, podcasts and other audio — and whatever comes next.
- The ability to solve problems, innovate and adapt in service of the primary goal, which is to produce quality journalism that reaches and engages readers and subscribers and has an impact.
- Entrepreneurial spirit focused on helping to identify and build new opportunities.
- Enthusiasm for helping to get philanthropic and community support for the journalism we produce
What we’ll bring:
As a journalist at McClatchy, you will join a supportive, flexible, collaborative team. McClatchy strives to be an employer of choice, and our benefits package is made with this goal in mind. With a focus on health, well-being, wealth and daily life, our package options include healthcare coverage for employees and their families, financial protection from expected and unexpected expenses, multiple no-cost wellness resources and even coverage for four-legged friends.
Our overall benefits package also includes a 401(k) with employer match, competitive paid time off and corporate holidays, and a variety of mental health benefits. With an excellent support team and with focus on your well-being as a top corporate strategy, McClatchy provides benefits to support you and your family in achieving your health and wellness goals.
Our impact is growing every day. 30 growing markets. Over 65 million monthly readers. 56 Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger.
As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of a flexible, empowering, and exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growth—a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.