City Government Reporter
“The Island Packet” is looking for an experienced and strong reporter with a knack for accountability and pulling back the curtain on the inner workings of government and institutions.
A successful candidate should be well organized and capable of developing
enterprise as well as keeping track of day-to-day happenings.
The City Government Reporter will need to be skilled in source building and be able to mine information not readily available, and will come to understand the uniqueness of the market and what our readership wants and expects from its local paper.
- Bachelor's in Journalism and one to two years of experience preferred
- Strong writing and reporting skills and excellent news judgment
- The ability to shoot passable photos and videos
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics
- Understanding of open records laws and the ability to file, manage and oversee requests pertinent to beat work
- Ability to engage with readers and develop sources on social media platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- Understanding of SEO and other optimization opportunities and a demonstrated ability to learn new skills in social and digital
- Ability to correctly identify audiences for selected stories
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and high energy
- A collaborative style that works comfortably across teams spread throughout the office and company. We will work comfortably in a job that will be fast-paced, data-driven, shaped constantly by feedback and experimentation and always evolving
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).
To Apply: Please include work samples or a link to your online portfolio.