Group VIP Agent - Front Counter - Customer Service
Hourly rate: $15.00
McClatchy, a national leader in digital media, is growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways. We are experiencing the most transformative period in our history.
Come Join McClatchy – a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future!
Learn a little about us: This is McClatchy
McClatchy has an immediate opening for a Group VIP Agent (Customer Service) at our Sacramento Bee Front Counter
The Group VIP Agent will be a member of the customer service team, supporting several newspapers. The duties of this job primarily involve answering calls and processing customer information that includes but may not be limited to each newspaper’s home delivery subscriptions, digital subscriptions, Sunday Select, NIE, the TMC program, regional editions, targeted non-paid print products, digital web traffic and DealSaver registrants.
The Group VIP Agent is responsible for assisting internal and external customers to include answering phone calls, accurate data entry and preparing job related paperwork for the purpose of satisfying the customer’s needs and achieving audience development department goals. The customer service team is expected to contribute to delivering on these targets, anticipate shortfalls and identify areas for improvement or alternative plans to meet established goals as necessary.
Regular and reliable attendance is required as well as some weekends/holidays.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following. Other duties may be assigned as needed to ensure success for the assigned newspaper(s).
Responsible for handling inquiries from the call center, distributors and management as well as answer the phone calls from customers.
Responsible for any daily processing of information and daily work that can include payments, starts vacation stops and customer complaints as they pertain to all products both print and digital and include the assigned newspaper but also involve other publications, TMC products, Sunday Select and alternate publications.
The goal is to provide over the top customer service to all customers, both print and digital, and have a well informed local and call center staff to handle all customer service requests.
- Responsible for working with the Group Relationship Manager to continuously provide the call center a comprehensive and complete Customer Service Manual which includes all scripts, policies and procedures for proper customer service and includes, but not limited to, screenshots, explanation of customer credits and debits, customer rates and rate options, inclement weather procedures, stop save expectations and upgrade expectations for the assigned newspaper.
- Responsible to include but not limited to the following:
- Achieving a designated percent of stop saves
- Managing customer support tickets
- Promoting both print and digital subscriptions
- Meet daily finance department deadlines
- Handling e-mail correspondence and keeping abreast of changes as these occur in the department and company
- Enter all data accurately and timely and maintain the integrity of the database and verify data entered.
- Resolve customer complaints satisfactorily or facilitate in this resolution by providing information to the appropriate supervisor and following up with the customer when necessary.
- Routinely ask for VacPaks, NIE donations, upgrades and save customers in order to achieve Audience Development departmental goals.
- Schedule advertising in appropriate systems and collect payment for walk-in customers placing obits, personal ads, etc
- Receive incoming calls, transfer to appropriate Dept/Employee
- Assist guest sign-in as necessary
- Transact purchase of newspaper end rolls
- Reconcile cash drawer daily and submit for deposit
Responsible for proper escalation practices and resolution of these issues.
- Works closely with the retention teams and managers to coordinate and be aware of retention programs in place at the assigned newspaper as both of these teams play key roles in customer service.
- Works closely with Advertising Call Center Management for escalation needs, training, and coverage.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; and 1-2 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A prior work history that demonstrates strong successful leadership ability and solid understanding of complexities of newspaper circulation, sales, distribution and marketing is preferred.
- Must have the ability to deal with frustrated customers with professionalism and patience. Requires strong interpersonal skills, excellent listening and communication skills, ability to deal with customer issues in a timely and efficient manner, and a pleasant phone manner.
- Must have strong keyboarding/data entry skills, operate a computer, and the ability to work varied shifts, weekends and holidays.
- Bilingual a plus.