Sr. Software Engineer
McClatchy is seeking a talented Sr. Software Engineer for our innovation-focused, product-driven, technology team.
McClatchy, a national leader in digital media, is growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways. We are experiencing the most transformative period in our history.
Come Join McClatchy – a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future!
Learn a little bit about us: This is McClatchy
McClatchy IT creates, deploys, and maintains software that powers over seventy periodical Web sites, including miamiherald.com, charlotteobserver.com, and newsobserver.com (Raleigh, NC). All of the Web sites are hosted and monitored in enterprise-class data centers.
Additionally, McClatchy IT supports all of the Web sites with hands-on technical training, consulting services, and 24/7 customer service.
A senior software engineer at McClatchy designs solutions, creates proof of concepts, mentors developers, performs code reviews and explores new technologies that would fit into our existing enterprise architecture.
Senior Engineers work closely with colleagues, one or more multidisciplinary Agile teams, the department head, product owners, and others to define deliverables, divide and conquer assignments, design solutions, and write code.
The ideal candidate for the position is an expert in one or more of the following: Go, Rust, Ruby on Rails; C++; Object-oriented PHP; MySQL; Node.js. The ideal candidate has at least four-six years in Service or Web development, and at least two years in an area of specialization.
Preferred location is the Raleigh, NC area, however, we may be open to remote work within the US
- Structured design and development in a service oriented architecture
- Design and development of unit test modules
- Peer code reviews
- Creation of documentation for both developer and end-user consumption
- Providing training to other developers and customer service personnel
- After hours availability for emergency issues.
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment-based work authorization
- 4 – 6 years of professional programming experience
- 2+ years in any of the aforementioned areas of expertise
- Experience leading a multi-disciplinary agile team
- Enterprise scale software development
- Experience with a revision control system (e. g. GIT, Subversion)
- Modern software design patterns; development in a team environment
- Solid knowledge of Unix or Linux, the command-line, scripting, configuration and administration
- Customer service skills
- Bachelor's degree or advanced degree in computer science, electrical or computer engineering, physics, or mathematics
- Agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban)
- User Registration and paywall systems
- System integrations
- REST API structure and usage
- Test driven development, unit tests, test automation
- Web Services in a Service Oriented Architecture