Product Manager - News Strategy
McClatchy, a national leader in digital media, is growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways. We are experiencing the most transformative period in our history.
Come Join McClatchy – a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future!
Learn a little about us: This is McClatchy
McClatchy is looking for an experienced Product Manager to join a team responsible for creating digital news product strategies.This position focuses on developing audience-first strategies for our news products and collaborating with journalists and editors in our newsrooms to implement strategies for product initiatives.
The Product Manager - News Strategy will collaborate with other Product Managers for news, audience and revenue to ensure alignment of strategies and to assist in prioritizing work in the development pipeline. A background in digital product management, platforms, journalism or newsroom content management systems is desired, but not required.
This position is located in our innovation-focused, product-driven, technology hub in downtown Raleigh.
- Work with newsrooms to shape product ideas into strategies, including identifying goals, measures of success and ROI
- Guide product strategies that meet reader engagement goals and support the digital storytelling needs of our journalists
- Use research, data analysis, user experience analysis and testing, competitive research and other relevant tools to ensure informed decision making
- Develop product strategies that support and align with content strategies and newsroom projects
- Effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams and stakeholders to contribute to an overall strategic plan and roadmap for the news product group
- Clearly communicate strategy and goals to development teams and ensure delivery against them
- Work cross-functionally to ensure that the solution that is built delivers against the defined problem and goals
- Assist with all aspects of the product lifecycle, including strategy, product requirements definition, design, competitive research, forecasting, launch plans, testing, and future enhancements
- Monitor and analyze key performance metrics as well as identify and measure the impact of new features
- Regularly track product performance and success metrics, and report them to stakeholders
- Bachelor's degree, or comparable experience
- 3+ years experience in product management, journalism strategy, audience engagement or similar area of expertise
- Familiarity and comfort in working with data, including the ability to use data to analyze and monitor product health, set goals and metrics, and aid in the prioritization of initiatives and features.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions, make recommendations, and drive action.
- Strong technical or product expertise, including the ability to analyze business problems effectively and work cross-functionally to prioritize and ultimately drive appropriate and even game-changing solutions
- An effective understanding of technology and how to use it to deliver outstanding and innovative products
- An ability to analyze quantitatively, problem-solve and think creatively and strategically
- Track record of success in fast-paced organizations with matrixed reporting environments, using collaborative approaches to drive effective solutions when no direct reporting relationship exists
- Demonstrated collaboration skills, working across a broad organization
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Some travel may be necessary - 0-20%
- Experience working in an Agile environment and an understanding of how that impacts the role of Product Management
- Experience working as a journalist, audience engagement manager, digital editor or other newsroom strategy role