Breaking News Editor
The Sun News is seeking an aggressive journalist who can lead a team that will deliver exclusive reporting that informs and engages readers in the region.
Our journalism focuses on our local communities, and in that role we have the ability to spotlight problems, highlight solutions and truly make a difference -- all the reasons you got into journalism. And we are part of McClatchy, a digitally driven company focused on innovation, with newsrooms in 30 communities in the United States.
We are located in Myrtle Beach, a growing and active community with unique restaurants and all of the outdoor activities you could ever want. Working at the beach can't be beat.
This position is perfect for someone seeking a leadership position while also being able to write at times. The editor will lead a small breaking news team and serve as the top newsroom leader when the senior editor is away.
This editor will be expected to move fast when news breaks while producing deeper stories that make a difference in the lives of our readers by holding officials accountable and unearthing the impact of their actions.
- College degree and two years prior experience preferred
- Strong writing and reporting skills and excellent news judgment
- Unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism
- Demonstrated ability to use social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter to reach audiences
- Fluency in the science of readership and engagement, including an understanding of how to use analytics such as page views, time on site, referral sources and “shares and likes” to help determine which stories resonate with which audiences
- A demonstrated ability to tell stories using a variety of tools and platforms, including video
- A demonstrated ability to learn new skills and technologies, including content management systems; social media platforms; video editing software; Omniture, CrowdTangle and other analytics tools; and any emerging storytelling tools and platforms
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy and the ability to take and give constructive criticism. The new workflows require constant conversations between reporters and editors and between reporters and their audience as a story evolves.
- Demonstrated ability to work comfortably in a job that will be fast-paced, data-driven, shaped constantly by feedback and experimentation and always evolving.
- Must have reliable transportation. Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).