Join The News & Observer, an award-winning news organization in Raleigh, N.C., this summer as a paid intern and gain practical education and professional experience — while working with some of the best journalists in the business.
Our interns are a vital part of our news organizations. We value them, and the skills and energy they bring to our newsrooms. Our goals:
- Train aspiring journalists in the principles and rigors of their desired profession.
- Bring new voices to our newsroom to give us fresh perspectives.
- Put you to work. You'll write stories, shoot photos and videos and create engaging social media content.
The program works like this:
- Internships are full-time, 10 weeks. The schedule may include evening and weekend hours. Interns do not work on holidays.
- Interns earn $500 per week for the 10-week summer internship.
- The internship is open to sophomores, rising/current juniors and seniors and graduating seniors. Interns must currently be enrolled in a four-year degree program or have recently graduated.
- Each intern is assigned an editor and a mentor. These staffers will oversee your work, guide you, work with you on perfecting your journalism, help solve problems and navigate the newsroom.
- This is not considered a remote position. But accommodations could be made depending on coronavirus conditions.
Qualifications should include:
- A collaborative work ethic and a strong desire to learn.
- Deep curiosity, healthy skepticism and the drive to find answers.
- Solid news judgment, accuracy and high ethical standards.
- Understanding of the professional use of social media in news-gathering and audience development.
- Quick study of technology and tools used in news-gathering.
- Experience working at a college publication, either print or online, is preferred.
- A previous internship or freelance experience is a plus.
How to apply
Important - candidates must include the following:
- A one-page cover letter that summarizes why you want to be an intern in our newsroom.
- Resume that includes links to your public social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram).
- Links to a samples of your work. If available: Personal website or portfolio.
- At least two references.
The deadline is Monday, November 30 at 9 a.m., but we encourage you to apply early.
Note: Many McClatchy newsrooms in the U.S. will hire interns for 2021. If you're interested in applying to a different newsroom, keep checking mcclatchy.com/careers for additional job postings.