McClatchy is looking for a Multimedia Designer / Creative Specialist to join our creative team. In this role you will conceptualize, execute and lead the creation of designs for a variety of advertising projects including client ad campaigns, B2B marketing and promotional projects, sales collateral and more.
The ideal candidate should be capable of delivering both ideation and execution across a broad area of expertise: digital banner creation, social media development, web platforms (HTML), video editing, presentation design, marketing collateral, print and beyond.
This position will work independently, but routinely collaborate with internal teams, external partners and freelancers to ensure the timely and accurate delivery of various creative projects. More than just a designer, the right candidate will deploy a customer-focused approach with a creative mindset, an eye for detail, a knack for strong verbiage (copywriting experience a plus) and an overall understanding of the current advertising and marketing landscape across digital, print, video and more.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Generate innovative and visually appealing advertising deliverables from rough concepts through execution, often with minimal input.
- Research and distill project and client needs by gathering the necessary information to execute and explain creative decisions that help drive success across KPIs.
- Coordinate with various partners to help lead the creation and subsequent production of advertising campaigns servicing clients across up to 30 markets.
- Suggest creative ad campaign copy as part of a self-sustaining conceptual team
- Serve as primary in-house video editor for creative projects to supplement projects coordinated for fulfillment by other team members.
- Collaborate on ideas and insights to improve output across various creative projects
- Complete quality assurance measures on necessary creative projects prior to final delivery to internal stakeholders and clients.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Apply strong knowledge of graphic design, typography, multimedia editing and digital standards to advertising campaigns.
- Understand and apply mechanical guidelines and create internal marketing and sales collateral to support the needs of the sales team.
- Adapt to changing technology and learn new software applications and systems as needed.
- Strong desire to stay up-to-date with industry and design trends.
- Ability to prioritize and execute work under pressure to maintain SLAs.
- Strong organizational skills to deliver across multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication skills, problem solving abilities and a team-first attitude.
- Ability to interact professionally and build relationships across numerous internal teams and with external partners and freelancers.
- Computer proficiency - Adobe Applications (design and video editing), Google Workspace (Gmail/Docs/Sheets/Slides or similar) and project management software.
- Must be able to work remotely while contributing to a team environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; preferably in graphic design, advertising, communications or marketing, or the equivalent education, experience, skills and knowledge needed to do the job.
Two years related advertising experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Able to work independently and effectively. Understanding of advertising products, processes and systems to support the creative and client success teams. Ability to identify improvement opportunities to maximize efficiency. Keeps downtime to a minimum, proactively seeking out work needing to be done. Helpful & responsive to questions and requests across numerous departments.