NC Opinion Writer
Are you someone who can craft a must-read column, tell an engaging story, and wants to be a thoughtful voice in the community where you live? We’re looking for a different kind of opinion writer and editorial board member — one with strong opinions who can report and write a powerful editorial, but also one with an ear for storytelling and eye for the big and small things your community is buzzing about.
Our next opinion writer will:
- Report and write columns and editorials with a local and state lens, regularly breaking news and hold officials to account;
- Visualize and execute strong opinion journalism, including multi-day projects;
- Respond to events with opinion at the speed of news.
- Pursue innovative approaches to reach underserved audiences
The successful candidate will be a fresh voice and sharp thinker with a love for community-based reporting and will be someone who embraces a digital-first focus that rewards quick, thoughtful writing and an eagerness to try new things.
This writer will help readers and would-be readers understand the contribution local opinion journalism can make to the health of a community. The NC Opinion Writer will engage in respectful community building both online and by hosting community conversations with a goal of growing support for our work.
This person will grow readership of our editorials by acting on available audience data. Skills and experience with video and/or podcasting are a plus. The position will report to the NC Opinion Editor and be based in Charlotte.
- At least 3-5 years of reporting experience, preferably on local issues and/or government.
- Strong editing skills and excellent news judgment.
- A zeal for understanding and using readership data.
- An interest in telling stories using a variety of media, and an enthusiasm for learning new skills and technologies.
- Comfort with a job that will be fast-paced and constantly evolving.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).